Removable Trailer Tongue

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by jefftb, Jan 5, 2009.

1. jefftb

jefftb LawnSite Senior Member

I've got in my mind a custom design for a jobsite trailer using JOBOX site storage boxes. I would like to mount these on a tandem axle trailer.

However, part of my design is for a removable tongue on the trailer to provide a better level of security for it. Its harder to steal a trailer if there is no trailer hitch on it. Yeah I know they could bring a roll-back and just winch it up.

Anyone ever seen something like it? I know Fulton has something like this but I cannot get any information on it. Any ideas?

How about opinions on what DOT would think of the removable tongue setup if it were a modification of a standard trailer. We could certainly cut the tongue off a trailer and then drill the two pieces for mating back together with nut/bolt setup.

The total trailer weight would not exceed 7,000 lbs including the trailer itself.
  2. jimslawns

jimslawns LawnSite Senior Member

What about a slide in tounge??

One big piece with bigger/smaller slide in/over with a couple of 3/4" pins.
  3. IdealLawnCare

IdealLawnCare LawnSite Member

Ive seen a folding tongue on boat trailers that uses pins I think. I believe you can remove it a the folding point. You remove about 24".
  4. jefftb

Kind of like a receiver hitch? Pretty cool idea. We could fab something like that up.
  5. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds like a great idea, don't be fooled into a false sense of security. Criminals here in Memphis are targeting, and stealing Lawn care & equipment trailers, and doing it with great efficiency. A buddy of mine in the business had his whole trailer stolen within a secured storage facility. The criminals rented a storage unit using fake Id's. Then staked out the place, Picked my friends truck & trailer. Under the cover of darkness proceeded to cut the tongue off the trailer, and somehow attach the trailer to their truck bumper, took down a wood fence drove the trailer trough, and then rehung the fence drove off with $52,000 worth of equipment. The trailer was found in Olive Branch, MS cut into pieces on a side road, ZTR's, handhelds were gone, they left nothing of any value took axles, copper wire, nothing much left.

I personally have quit leaving trailers or equipment on jobsite's it's not worth the risk anymore. It's cheaper to burn the extra fuel than replace a trailer

I store my equipment separate from my trailers, and even rent a 22x30 fully enclosed storage unit for my most expensive trailer.
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  6. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Smart man !!
  7. jefftb

Damn that's like the syndicate. That much effort and planning for a landscape operation trailer. Geez ol' pete.
  8. wellbuilt

wellbuilt LawnSite Senior Member

I'm looking to do the same type of thing . First I thought i would sell one of my 12' dump trailers and replace it with a new14' roll off dump trailer. Then i can make a shop trailer on a flat deck with job boxes bolted to the inside and drop it on the ground . Also extra dump boxes , flat bed . Its nice to work off the ground . My next thought was to roll a 6'6 " x11'6 x 7'high shop box in to a 12' dumpster and roll it out on a new location . The question is how to pull it in the dumpster ? A winch would be nice . How about 2 large coma longs . I move to a different job every few week. I have a removable tong on my cement mixer . I think you would have to get the trailer recertified if you change the structure . I really want a 8x20' trailer but don't have a spot to park it now John
  9. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

If a theif wants it bad enough no hitch or not if they have a way of moving it they will.

Nothing is safe if you have bad crime in the area you live in.

The best theft deterent is a electric shock some enough to give them a good jolt that might knock them on their azz :laugh:
  10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Please tell me this is NOT the reason you're looking for a removable tongue!
    Oh hell no, do forget this idea quickly, no way, no how.
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2009