Removal of roll bars

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BMARK, Sep 9, 2004.

1. BMARK

BMARK LawnSite Member

Before anyone gets testy let me say I understand the benefits of the rollbar in some circumstances. My new lazer Z came equiped with one and I have found it a pain as it gets hung up under branches etc. Has any removed the roll bar unit (not just the top unit) and if so was it diffucult?

2. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I have labor running them sometimes and feel that would open me up to problems if something went wrong. If it is not on from the start, that is one thing but to remove it I feel I could be in trouble.
    BUT. I feel that it is in the way a lot and have caught it on a few trees and a guide wire on a pole which almost fliped me over backward. I don't know how hard it is to take off but I know you can not rip it off on trees.

3. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

i dont think that they should be on mowers in the first place....it gives some operators a feeling that they can hang any hil b/c they have Rops...I dont even think a rider should be on a hill if there is a question of needing the roll bar....

i myself have never came close to even feeling like one of my riders were going to roll over and thats b/c i use extreem saftey on any kind of incline and if i dont feel its safe for my employees than it will either get a WB or weed whip the whole hill.....saftey is #1 and I would never send anyone on a hill that was to aggresive for the machine they are driving

4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

First thing I did on my Kubota was take off the rops. Actually, second. First thing I did was catch it on a tree limb and tear the limb off the tree.

Took about 20 minutes, 12 bolts.

5. HiTECH

HiTECH LawnSite Member

I bought a brand new toro this year and that was the first thing to go. I think that they are more danger than anything. If you were to go under a tree with a low limb that is well developed you could possibly flip your self over or rip the limb off. I took the whole assembly off, took all of half an hour to do and i already had it in for warrenty work and the dealer said nothing about it to me.

6. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

I agree that they create more of a safety risk than they prevent but my only worry would be that if an employee was severly injured I would think that I could be personally held liable. Luckily my lazer was the last year made without the rops installed from the factory.

7. BMARK

BMARK LawnSite Member

Thanks for the imput guys. I appreciate the liability aspect however I run solo so I can only sue myself. Just took twenty minutes and removed them this am. Those puppies are heavy.

8. Goodguy001

Goodguy001 LawnSite Member

This is why I use a Sentar, it can take a hill, and if any sign of danger (which I have never experienced) hop off the back.

9. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I have a Steiner 4x4 and a Bobcat that had the roll bars on them from the factory. After a couple of scary incidents they were both removed. One involved my wife driving up the ramps into the cube van for the first time, almost flipped it backwards when it hit the top.

10. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

My Ventrac has a foldable roll bar so I just flip it down when I have to work under trees. I also carry a pare of lopers with me and trim low hanging branches.