1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

removal of suckers around base of tree

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by mr mow, Jul 3, 2006.

1. mr mow

mr mow LawnSite Senior Member

One of my mowing customers asked me today if there was something she could spray on the suckers growing all around the base of here tree,is there?
  2. mr mow

mr mow LawnSite Senior Member

actually ill get a pic tomarrow cause they might not be suckers
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I tried Sucker stopper and it sorta worked but not good enough to stop the growth entirely. I had to spray several times. Trim them off...
  4. I got PO'd at them and started spraying them with Roundup! And it seems to be slowing the regrowth. Cutting them off only seemed to stimulate regrowth. I'd dig back the mulch and really cut them off deep too.
    This has been on mostly crabapples.
    It doesn't seem to be hurting the trees. The Roundup doesn't seem to translocate any further than the suckers.
    This hasn't been recommended to me by anyone, and I'm not recommending it to anyone else. Maybe it's the phenomenol growth rate we have here keeps it from killing the trees.
    It seems to be working. I've been trying it for about a month.
    Anyone else tried this? Am I flirting with disaster?
  5. bumper

bumper LawnSite Member
    from So. Cal

Yep, you're weakening the trees natural ability to protect itself against disease and pest.

Usually sucker growth is the trees reponse to damage, pests, to gather more light and or water. I would look the tree over for any of the above issues