Removal of Transmission pulley Scag 36

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by yardie133, Aug 4, 2006.

1. yardie133

yardie133 LawnSite Member

My Scag 36, Model SW 36 13KA walk behind Lawnmower transmission is defective, I am trying to remove it to have it replaced but I cant figure out how the belt pulley is removed from the transmission shaft. I noticed an unusual nut on the pulley. Can someone assist with instructions how to remove this pulley. Your help will be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Some Peerless transmissions have a retaining ring on the bottom, Some have a retaining ring and a set screw together and some have a square headed set screw.
    Use a wire brush and clean the end of the shaft then check for a retaining ring, Remove if equipped then remove which ever style set screw completely.
    Spray with penetrating oil and let sit a few minutes, Use a pry bar to LIGHTLY apply a downward pressure on the edge of the pulley then using a drift punch in the center of the shaft tap with a hammer and it should slide off. You will probably need a helper and Remember light pressure, You don't want to bend the pulley.

If it won't come off this way, Remove the top cover then remove the retaining ring on the input shaft pinion gear then drive the whole shaft out the bottom then take it to a shop and let them press the shaft out of the pulley.