1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Removal of (very dead) trees

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by KS_Grasscutter, Oct 10, 2006.

1. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Got a row of 4 dead scotch pine, i think, trees behind a "customers" house. There are two more live ones that may come out, as they will be dead too anyway. There are NO power lines, fences, houses, buldings, or anything else they could fall on, so it really dont matter at all where they fall. They are full size (guessing 30 to 40 ft... i think... not good at estimating feet, lol). Is $200/per a good price to cut them out and haul off limbs (use dads C70, 16' dump bed with 4 (i think) foot sides). No stump grinding, and no dumping fee for me. It has somewhat easy access for the truck through neighbors driveway (no problems using driveway, either, as it is my golf coaches driveway, he is the one who got me the job actually). I think it will be SOMEWHAT easy, as long as there are not that many loads of stuff to haul away. SO anyway, is $200 each right? More? Less? Thanks for any help!
  2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

just to give you an idea, I dropped, chopped and chipped a 35' spruce yesterday in 65 minutes by myself. All that was left was a stump flush with the ground, and 3' of the trunk that wouldn't fit through the chipper. Can't say much for pricing since I don't know your dump location and all that jazz
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Somehow I don't think this guy has a chipper or a stump grinder, thou I could be wrong...

Don't forget yourself.
  4. fastlane

fastlane LawnSite Senior Member

A "dead" tree can be a lot harder to clean up. Branches could shatter into a million pieces.
  5. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I rented a 6" chipper for the day. I didn't have a stump grinder either, I raked the dirt away from the stump and got the stump very close to the ground.
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The lawn area is goin to be a BIG consideration. Don't forget, taking a truck back there is one thing...Pulling a FULL truck out is another. This is why many services use tractors to get the trunks out and load them.
  7. Fordsuvparts

Fordsuvparts LawnSite Senior Member

We charge more for very dead trees because the shatter in to so many little pieces, and they break up as we try to chip them and you end up shoveling tons of little pieces by hand into the chip dump. They are a pain in the ass to do clean up on. I would charge more than 200 per trees because each tree will be more than a load on the truck you described. This will not be a walk in the park to clean up, better get you scoup shovel and leaf rakes ready. Htye might be easy to drop but you'll have fun with the cleanup.
  8. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I opt for more than 200 per if you think you can get it. Dead trees are very tough to cut with a saw, dull chains incredibly fast.
  9. KS_Grasscutter

Thank you for all the replies. Told my golf coach to tell the neighbor (I have had no direct contact with the cusomer yet) that it would be 200/per. I really am not worred about cleanup, as this is in native grass, not a lawn, so if it is little it will just be left there. Half of me hopes like hell i get the job, as it would be about half profit for me, and that would mean no winter job somewhere else that would suck just to have money for all my fixed costs. The other half of me is hopping like hell that i DONT get it, as it will be kinda a major PITA. I am gonna check on a chipper, as it would suck driving 10miles to the dump many times getting kinda bad fuel economy and putting wear on dads farm truck. Again, thanks for all the help.
  10. KS_Grasscutter

Well, started today. Think I am gonna end up making (some) money on this deal! I am still gonna see about a chipper, as there is quite a bit of stuff there. Only problems so far have been losing my glasses because a limb i was cutting (found an hour later, lol), posin ivy, and my friend that was getting $8 an hour to stack limbs that just prefered to stand around and text message people.

Will try and get some pics tomorrow of the project... was going to get some "before" pics, but forgot the camera today :hammerhead: . So i guess i will have "in progress" and "after", :laugh: .

Also, would this be worth anything to sell as firewood?