Remove 2 8 ft tall Queen palm tree's?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by sancho_man_orlando, Feb 4, 2007.

1. sancho_man_orlando

sancho_man_orlando LawnSite Member

I bid on a job to remove 2 8 ft tall Queen palm tree's. They are about 2 ft from driveway.

I don't know how to properly do it.

Do I just get a shover and dig around the base, using loppers to cut the roots and pull it out of there?

Do I need some heavy machinery? Can I dig around and attach a rope to it and my truck and pull it out?

Anyone have pointers, tips, ideas or advice?

2. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you going to try and save the tree?

3. sancho_man_orlando

Yes, I have them sold already with a small delivery and installation fee, plus the cost of the trees.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We removed a couple palm trees this winter and learned a lesson....first off we dug around them but couldn't move them with six guys. We had to resort to a redneck method....hooked a chain to the front hooks on our big chev and pulled it out. Then we couldn't get it into the back of the trailer. So we had to hook a chain up and pull it into the trailer.......need some kind of backhoe for these. Our palm was about 8'...good luck.

5. taproot

taproot LawnSite Member

Im not too sure about palm tree roots (dont have them here), but being that close to the driveway have you considered that either the roots will need to be cut so it doesnt do damage to the driveway or that cutting those roots will have a effect on the tree to where you cant replant them? Also any large roots that may be growing under the driveway will decay and eventually create sinkholes in the driveway. Like i said, im not too familiar with palm trees or their roots, but common knowledge when dealing with most trees

6. sancho_man_orlando

How big were these?

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

About 30" around and about 6' up to where the plums were coming out.

8. Maitland Man

Maitland Man LawnSite Member

We've done plenty of palms...and tons of Q palms.

Just dig around the perimeter about 8-10" from the base of the tree. Use a heavy pony shovel, they work the best. If you don't have one...go to a local irrigation house and buy one. They pay for themselves the first time you use them. Home and commercial irrigation off of Fairbanks Ave/Interstate 4 has them. After digging a 3-4" wide trench all the way around them, use your pony shovel and chop down at an angle all the way around. The tree should be loose enough to wiggle back and forth, chopping down as needed to free it. I've done Q-palms up to 16ft using this method, and with no heavy equipment. Our Florida soil is really soft, and the Q-palms are the easiest to remove. Toss it into a double wheel wheelbarrow, and haul it onto your trailer. 8 Feet is not that big of a palm at all............

Need any help, get ahold of me. I'll help you out.

Dennis

9. Maitland Man

Maitland Man LawnSite Member

...probably syvelster(date) palms that you are talking about here with that caliber.. Those are a pain in the butt to remove. Queen palms are actually really easy.

Dennis

10. CkLandscapingOrlando

CkLandscapingOrlando LawnSite Senior Member

I agree. If your selling them right after you dig them you might want to make sure they get a lot of water for the first week or two.If not then they could go into shock.I've dug up a queen that big out of a tree trunk before.I only left a foot worth of root(because It was growing In another trees trunk)and I never had a problem.That should tell how well they take to the stress,but I was'nt selling It right out of the ground either.