Remove Echo Starter assembly?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by daveslandscaping, May 15, 2008.

1. daveslandscaping

daveslandscaping LawnSite Member

Hey guys. I am going to try to post a picture for the first time. I need to replace the starter assembly on my Echo SRM2400. I removed the recoil starter, but I need to remove the plate attached to the crankshaft. How do I remove this, when I put a wrench on it the engine obviously turns over. I don't see a self-explanatory way to lock up the engine to do this.

I've heard of some kind of spark plug insert to lock up the engine. Is this what I need? Where can I buy one? Should an echo dealer carry it?

Thanks

0515081452.jpg

0515081452a.jpg

2. S DIAMOND

S DIAMOND LawnSite Member
    from South

Dave, I'm going to give you a field service tip for this type of thing. Take a piece of pull rope and cauterize the ends. Place the piston near top dead center (not all the way) and place the rope through the spark plug hole so that the piston will not move any further when you start to turn it. It will obviously move some as the rope is compressed, but will stop.

NOTE: You will have to rotate the piston first, into a position (CCW CW) that will not allow it to rotate any further when you start turning the wrench. Or else you will have to make another turn. :confused: Example, if you place the rope in when you reach T.D.C. Clockwise, then you will have it locked in that position, but if you move CCW, the piston will move and the rope will be useless. Understand? Great.

:nono:DO NOT PLACE THE ROPE IN WHILE THE TRANSFER PORTS ARE EXPOSED! If you do, you may get the rope caught between the piston and the transfer port.

3. daveslandscaping

Thanks for the tip. I tried something similar with a piece of thick fuel hose, but I think I was having trouble finding the sweet spot of where it would compress between the piston and head or maybe it was just too soft.

I ended up sticking a screw driver into the cooling fans instead, I always try to avoid this in fear of breaking one off and throwing it off balance, but the starter piece wasn't on too tight.

Thanks Again

4. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

:nono: You could take a 12 MM socket and a ratchet, and give the ratchet a quick tap with a hammer, unless you have an air gun.
    From the pics it looks like you are missing the clutch dog and spring, you can get these parts from your dealer if you want to save a buck or two.

5. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

next time go 2 sears and pic up some rubber ratchets put it on key and take the nut off with ez

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I have done maybe 30 but I can never remember whether it is CCW to take it off....and tapping with hammer on wrench end works every time.

7. daveslandscaping

Thanks for the input guys. I had debated hitting it with a hammer, don't know why I didn't just do it. It came off a lot easier than I expected. No broken cooling fins either, but I know this is a terrible last-ditch method. :hammerhead:

It came off CCW by the way. Makes sense cuz the recoil starter pulls CW when you are looking at it. Don't want that plate spinning off when you pull start.