?Remove flathead bolts for spindles on Toro 52" deck???

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Tinkerer, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Tinkerer

Tinkerer LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone else had this trouble with the nuts rusting on the flathead bolts holding the spindles to the deck? One had a long enough gap I ended up cutting the bolt with my sawzall. But the last spindle doesn't have a big enough gap to get the sawzall blade in so....?????

2. Redneckn

Redneckn LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of machine? Model info?

Can you perhaps use and air chisel? Or "elbow operated" chisel? If you get the end of either good and sharp, you should be able to knock the head right off. It will then be mated nicelike with the spindle. But if you have drill press, patience, and vulgar language you can get it right. :)

If you are disposing of the spindle.. Who really cares how it comes out as long as you dont damage the deck in the process.

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Angle grinder with cut-off wheel :waving:

4. Tinkerer

Spindle is being used for a prototype (I'm on a shoestring budget) and the deck is being saved for future use on my Toro 117 Groundsmaster. Don't have any air chisels or cutoff saws.

5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Hammer, chisel and a torch for some heat?

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I blow the nuts off the bottom with a cutting torch then remove the assembly.

7. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Cheap angle grinder (even electric) with thin cutting blade is very effective if you have access to get to the bolt. Remember to use goggles or face shield.

8. carlriv

carlriv LawnSite Member
    from Mass

Do you have a welder? Can you weld a nut, or a bolt to the end you cant grab? I bet if you cant cut metal you cant weld either, so how are you building a prototype?

9. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

True Cut Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

Smoke Wrench.

10. Tinkerer

I don't have a welder but might be buying a grinder soon.
    The Toro 52" deck spindles are being used on the first prototype mower. Thats all I'm gonna say. No grand breakthrough ideas,,, I will just be the 7th or so manufacturer in a very small segment of the outdoor power manufacturing industry. More significant products down the road if first product gets going and makes me some money.