Remove grass from foundation planting?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Stoner, Nov 6, 2001.

1. Stoner

Stoner LawnSite Member
    from MA

I'm installing shrubs along a foundation and putting down weed block and stone, can I kill the existing grass with roundup or should I remove it and start from bare ground. Thanks for any responses.

2. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello,

Depends on how bad it is and how much time you have. If you can get there a few days before, or if you will be working there for a while doing other things, you could spray most of it with round-up, but just stay away from the shrubs and watch for drift.

After spraying round up, you may want to go back and grub hoe all the grass out then, at least the areas under and surrounding the plants.

If you are using fabric, then you could just spray the round-up, and put you fabric on top all at once. you still may have to do some pulling close to the shrubs.

If any areas aren't getting fabric, and yet are going to be mulched/stoned, I would then spray and dig the grass out trying to get most of the roots. You could then also wrap things up with a pre-emerge like snapshot to try and eliminate any straglers that may come up later on.

steveair