1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

remove green netting?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by kalyeah, Dec 31, 2005.

1. kalyeah

kalyeah LawnSite Member

I picked up a new customer near the end of the season. Her back yard has green netting layed down. I suppose this was for some kind of erosion control. I know the last company seeded last spring. Can't tell why any erosion control was needed. Lawn came in so so. Not great though. My question is.......do I just pull this netting up by hand? Covers the entire back lawn. Not very big area though. Maybe a 1000-1500 sq foot area. Thanks in advance.
  2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

By netting I'm wondering if you're refing to a weed mat? Did she just have a new lawn installed over one? How deep is the dirt over it? It may be there for a reason. The only time I have seen an entire yard done with it was for weed control in desert lawns. It may be a differnt material than what I am thinking of though. Can you post a close up pic of it?
  3. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Definately ask the homeowner what the net is there for. Last thing you want is to be responsible for something like an erosion problem - which could get very expensive.
  4. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

I use that type matting in my work, brand name futura... It is used for erosion control, for seeding on a hill side. Holds everything in place. It is attached to the ground with staples. We also use it seeding because it retains water [like a sponge], the wood pulp [which is under the netting] soaks up water and triples in thickness and it doubles the seed germination rate because of the water retention, so we sometimes use it on flat ground.
    Leave it in place. It should be bio-degradable. Leave it alone and just mow over it.
  5. kalyeah

kalyeah LawnSite Member

Thanks, I thought that it might break down over time but wasn't sure. This is a very flat backyard. Any input why it would be used on a flat surface? I just can't see erosion being a problem.
  6. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

Glad to help.
  7. wherebluegrassgrows

wherebluegrassgrows LawnSite Member

Yeah sure it will breakdown I fought with this crap all over the ville last year. Trust me you'll want to get that stuff up before you start mowing it's not the easiest thing to remove from blade spindles. The only thing its good for is holding straw in place and I'd be willing to bet you can thank M.S.D. or someone who didn't know better for putting it there. And if M.S.D. is the culprit then you'll probably need to reseed in the spring anyway. They use some junk seed that makes pasture grass look like award winning turf.
    just my 2 cents
  8. Five Diamond Lawns

Five Diamond Lawns LawnSite Member

It was probably originally planted with sod. If so you won't get it up without pulling the entire lawn up.
  9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with the above..sounds like sod netting
  10. fcl01

fcl01 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

i've used erosion netting quite a bit for hillsides and such. it's usually pretty brittle by the time the lawn is ready to be mowed. if it was laid right, your blades should not even touch it. unless you're mowing real low. if you do catch some in the blades, it usually chops it up and spits it out. i've never had to unwind it off the spindles. not saying it dosnt happen but i've never had a problem.