Remove Welch Plug to adjust new 2-cycle equipment carbs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mcambrose, Aug 19, 2003.

1. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Shindy T270 that has run poorly from the start. My dealer couldn't fix because he was uneducated on the new carbs. The newer T270 has plug (Welch plug) over the high speed jet sothe consumer does not adjust the jet settings. After the plug was removed and the carburetor mixture adjusted, it ran like a scalded dog. Not all carburetors have adjustable jets, but I bet there are others with the same problem I had that are suffering through it. For my model you just drill a 1/8" hole into the brass plug. Just drill deeply enough to stick a small screw driver into it to twist it out. Voila three the adjustment screw is. I am told that many lawnmower also have Welch plugs which can be removed to adjust the fuel mixture.

2. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Can you post pictures?

3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

First thing we do with that california mandated nonsense.
    2 cycles don't run for squat the way they are set up at the factory.

4. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Mcambrose, please share some pictures if you can to show the process or the finished result. That is awful that your dealer couldnÂ’t adjust the equipment for you.

Gravely_Man

5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

If you are careful you can just pull them off with needle nose pliers,BUT you must pull them straight up so you do not crack or break the jets.

6. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Yeah...Pics would be great.

7. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry I don't have a digital camera. Even if I did, all you would see is the exposed high speed jet adjustment needle because I threw the plug away. On the T270 the brass plug or cap is just below the low speed jet at the same location the old carburetor had a high speed jet. Makes sense since it is just the high speed jet cut off and capped to conceal. The brass cap is about 3/8" in diameter. You can't miss it. I wouldn't go removing the Welch plugs on any equipment unless I was sure there was an adjustable jet underneath.

8. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Mcambrose, thank you for the follow up on the request for pictures. I totally understand not being able to post pictures as I too do not have a camera.

Gravely_Man

9. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

What i have done is find some junk fs 76 trimmers get the carb off rebuild them and put on my FS 85 trimmers they run better now

10. Arnold

Arnold LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

We have done the same thing with 2 Homelite weed eaters we use and they run great when adjusted right. Otherwise they are weak and can't cut tall grass let alone a weed. Factory setting are really weak "California emmisions".