1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Removeing blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mkwl, Jul 7, 2004.

1. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Is there a trick to getting the blades off a 48" Bob-Cat WB? I just couldn't get them off with a regular wrench. I am consitering getting an electric impact wrench.
  2. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC LawnSite Senior Member

Definetly get an impact it makes blade changes alot simpler. We can get the blades off of our Encore 48" wb in about 30 seconds
  3. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Go buy one of these from Lesco or make your own like I did.

equipment 003.jpg
  4. Rich's Lawn Care

Rich's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Tharrell what are we looking at there?
  5. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Sorry about the blurry photo. I'll try again later. It 2 pieces of square tube, one smaller than the other so they slide inside each other to accomadate different distances. Then there are 2 sockets welded to the end to hold the top of the spindles so you can crank the bottom. You can have your impact wrenches, they don't work too good with dead batteries or no electric sockets to plug them into. This should be in everybodys tool box if just for backup if nothing else.
  6. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 48" bobcat also, and use 2 sockets, one on either end. you don't have to make them so tight that you need an impact wrench. with somebody holding the handle bars down, it takes me a few seconds to switch the 3 blades.
  7. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Well if I really need them off. I will just go and get my torch. That will burn the nuts right off. I have done that once to a buddy's machine. Wrench, breaker bar with a cheater bar, impact gun, etc. Nothing wanted to make this blade bolt budge. So I cut it off. I didn't even damage the treads on the bolt.
  8. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

the bolts next time they are off.

Last a long time,

makes getting them off easier in the future.

Protects the threads.

You can spin the bolts off and on easy.

With your fingers and...

Protects the threads when you use an impact wrench,

helps prevent galling.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I just head to the nearest gas station and ask the mechanic to loosen it. Takes them all of 3 seconds. Or you could stop by the dealer. Mine were on real tight when I bought it, but now I can always get them on and off with wrenchs.
  10. Hustlin

Hustlin LawnSite Member

Burn my nuts off, I'll pass!