"Removeing Gravel From Lawn"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Daner, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

What is the best and fastest way to get that gravel off the edge of the Lawn??
    I used a Bp Blower
    I was wondering about the sweeper attatchment for the wipper snipper
    What do you guys think is the best way to tackle a job like this??

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Power Broom, hands down

3. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

power broom if a lot and a longways to move it. Power sweeper if short distance and not to much to move.

4. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

power broom is a good way, but for my own house, none of my clients, i use the shop-vac to remove the expensive gravel that belong back in the walkways.

5. weve

weve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Central Illinois

I use Shindaiwa's PowerBroom. Echo, Stihl, Red Max and others also have them. I used mine for 45 minutes today at a cemetery to clean up what the state snow plow left along the highway earlier this week. It's a lot better than a rake and shovel and doesn't damage the grass.

6. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

Power broom without a doubt. You should see the crew going along a 1 1/2 mile stretch of Broadway here in the spring. All the sand and gravel from the winter plowing is back in the street again in less than 1 day. The town then comes along and cleans it up to use for the next winter.

7. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Incidentally, for all of us guys that USE the powerbrooms, since it is that time of year again, I would just like to give a helpful hint. When you mount your broom attachment, mount it upside down. You will be amazed at how much eaier the unit pulls than it pushes...especially for doing ditches. When you are oullig it, it just floats across the ground so much lighter, but yet is just as effective in sweeping. Just pull it back and let it "walk" forward. When doing broad areas, I work cross wise back and forth, with the unit slightly angled diagonally. I just walk back and forth, and it is amaing how much area you can cover like that. Like Rod said, it's the way to go...hands down.

9. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

This is a good method and easier on the arms and body however, don't wear shorts, pants with holes, and remember to put your pantleg over your boot. Makes an absolute mess of yourself, eye protection is also a must.

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

LOL....Oh yeah,..if you're wearing shorts, you DO have to empty your shoes or boots when you're done. I never get that much throw of stones though, because I always found that it works most effectively at lower speeds, like approx 1/4 to 1/2 throttle.