1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Removel Of Poison Ivy?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Hometown Lawn Care, Jul 20, 2003.

1. Hometown Lawn Care

Hometown Lawn Care LawnSite Member

How should I go about removing a poison ivy bush?

2. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

I'll tell you what I do. In my area, there are a lot of houses that back up to woods and as soon as they spot or get poision ivy from the yard -- they call a professional -- and I'm glad to help.

I know poison ivy can be a bush or a vine -- but around here it always a vine. I cut it off about 6 inches from the ground and dispose of the remanants and then plaster the remaining part of the vine with undilluted Glyosophate using a foam paintbrush.

As far as keeping yourself from breaking out in hives i use long sleeved clothes, gloves and a product called Ivy block. Then take a cold shower as soon as I get home. I've doen 1/2 dozen properties so far this year where I have had to remove quite a bit of poison ivy and I haven't had any reaction yet.

Works for me.

- jeff
  3. Rooster

Rooster LawnSite Senior Member

4. Hometown Lawn Care

Hometown Lawn Care LawnSite Member

awesome guys i love this, I very much appreciate your help.

Thanks Tons,