1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Removing a head from the end of a lateral

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by mooch91, Jun 27, 2006.

1. mooch91

mooch91 LawnSite Member

I need to remove a head from the end of a lateral line (poly). How do I do so without creating a dead-leg in the piping that won't get blown out during winterization?
  2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

You don't. But you might be surprised how well a plugged poly line can endure. If in doubt, dig up the entire surplus line.
  3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Install an auto drain (King Drain)
  4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Remove head, go to next head in line, dig down, cut, cap.

Leave the 20 or so feet of poly in the ground abandonded.

Has anyone found a working auto drain thats older than 5 years?
  5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Yes I have. There are many systems here with them installed. They do occasionally fail, but so do the heads, valves, controllers and everything else. I used to hate them, and to some extent still do. But they do have their purpose and place. When ever I re-build a manifold because it froze and cracked, I install an auto drain because I don't want to dig up the box and do it again because they forgot about the mani drain.

King now makes one for both lateral and mains - instead of carrying the opaque one for laterals and the red for mains.
  6. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

Not only do they fail regularly, they waste water. We install a quick couple on every project.

7. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

This is assuming that the lateral line is sequential with the heads and not spurred off. Depending on how the laterals are piped you may be cutting off more heads. :)
  8. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

My bad Jon. I reread the question and it relates to poly. You plow boys always run in a stratight line. :p