removing a large area or mulch

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Kings of Green LLC, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Kings of Green LLC

Kings of Green LLC LawnSite Member

i have a customer who unfortunately got ripped off. he is the head of the hmo and he paid a landscaper to mulch an area aprox 80sq feet around the entrance sign with a grey mulch but what he got was 4 inches of shredded bark! and he placed it on top of two inches of old mulch. now i need to try to figure how to remove all the bark and mulch with minimal damage to the existing trees bushes and flowers. any ideas? thanks

2. charmill26

charmill26 LawnSite Senior Member

blower, shovel, or rake, etc. 80 sq ft isnt much at all so shouldnt take long

3. Kings of Green LLC

true but 6-8 inches deep is a lot of labor can i rent equipment to remove that much quicker?

4. kgflyboy

kgflyboy LawnSite Member
    from MO

Pine bark is a common mulch. How did he get ripped off? The landscaper probably thought he provided the exact service he was contracted to provide.

5. Kings of Green LLC

well he asked for grey colored mulch and got blond colored shredded trees

6. kgflyboy

kgflyboy LawnSite Member
    from MO

Isn't all mulch made from shredded trees of some sort? I must be missing something.

Look at this picture. Pardon the dog... I just did a quick search online. This is gray mulch (made from pine bark). Is this not what the customer got? If it is, this is a good mulch!

Pine%20Bark%20Nuggets-624.jpg

7. Kings of Green LLC

Posted via Mobile Device

8. Kings of Green LLC

The mulch that was put down is not typical landscaping much it it is up to 6 inches in length and up to 1/2 thick it looks just like it came out of a tree service shredder. What was expected was a smaller finer grey colored mulch. The question I'm asking is not what much is made of but how to remove this amount of much without doing it all with a shovel. I'm thinking about using a dingo .
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

80sq ft I would have done it with a rake pitch fork and been done with it in less than 30 minutes.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Kings of Green LLC

I'll measure it tomorrow it must be bigger than 80
    Posted via Mobile Device