Removing a Redbud

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by ARGOS, Sep 7, 2007.

1. ARGOS

ARGOS LawnSite Silver Member

I have a redbud that is butted up against a lilac. The customer wants the redbud removed, but keep the lilac.

I cut the redbud at ground level and drilled it out and applied stump remover per instructions, but it didn't phase the redbud.

I cannot get at the redbud with equipment because it is next to a pool and wall.

Any suggestions other then a pick and shovel?

2. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome to the site - what do you mean that you cut it down to the ground , drilled out the holes , etc , and it didn't phase it ? If it is sprouting suckers or new growth ? If it is , cut them off and immediately swab the cuts with glyphosphate.

3. ARGOS

I will try apply glyphosate to the sucker stubs as they appear. Big bush.

What I meant by "drilling holes" is that I drilled holes and applied a stump decomposer into the holes, but obviously my result was more suckers.

Thanks for the tip.

4. LTL

LTL LawnSite Member
    from Tulsa

Glyphosate is just the AI in RoundUp. Therer is a product called Tordon that is made for your exact situation.

5. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

Wow I could use a redbud as a nice 15 year old one died (in the span of 2 weeks, UWExtension hasnt gotten back with the results yet and it didn't look like herbicide injury) at one of my customers! Not that great of a choice for here in Wisconsin but they like it, and oddly enough the other 3 on the property look great,

6. ARGOS

Interesting enough I have a customer about twenty miles away that has a red bud in serious distress. I am in an arid area of California and it appeared to show lack of water. We increased the water, but it still is suffering in certain areas with a pest attacking those areas. If you get a chance let me know what the extension says. Thanks.