1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Removing Arborvitae

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Yard, Mar 31, 2002.

1. Yard

Yard LawnSite Member

I'm bidding on a job where 3 arborvitae have to be removed and replaced with something else. They're about 12' tall and were planted about 7 years ago. What kind of root structure do they have? Do they have a deep tap root similar to a yew? How long do you think it will take to dig them out by hand? Thanks!

God bless Eric and his family!
  2. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

it could take you some time to get them out... I'd figure about 30 mins each on a high end. If the trees were planted recently... then less time... but if the roots have been established... figure on some time to get them out.
  3. tlcservices

tlcservices LawnSite Member
    from fl

pull the truck up chain em a few select root cuts out they come 5 mins each then to the dump $75.00 each

DEERETEE LawnSite Member
    from CHICAGO

rent skid steer with a hawk or spade attachment. 5 minutes per tree. if using truck and chain method use a old truck rim at base of tree loop chain over rim this will pull tree straight up.
  5. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

just wrap a chain around em and yank out with the truck. wont take you long at all that way.
  6. Commander

Commander Banned

I saw your post and your location and was thinkin to myself "this is good!" Then I saw that your trees are only 12 foot tall :( I would have taken them if they were at least 3x that height.