Removing azalea's?pleases help

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Bower's, Aug 20, 2001.

1. Bower's

Bower's LawnSite Member

:blob2: I tried searching with no results so here goes. A Customer wants me to remove 4 large azaleas around 4ftx4ft. Was wondering what it takes to rip these out i am a beginner with no skid steer can this be done by hand? any tips would be greatly appreciated. Plus how do i price this? Please help. Thanks in advance 4 any help.

2. ripping them out is not a problem- are they living and healthy now? if they are you can dig them and sell em off later at a nice profit. - otherwise get a good shovel, a pick and start digging around the roots. if you wanna do this fast- get a strong rope and put it from your truck to the base of the plant- if you cant get right at the plant then use a block if you have one. but for the most part your cheapest way to do it is just with a shovel and pick- wont hurt to bring a set of good loppers and a hand saw with you. by the way- nice thing about azaleas is- you can cut em down to the base and they grow back in a year or two.

3. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Generally shallow-rooted, should be in and out with just a shovel in less than 15 minutes.

4. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

Get a good spade shovel,dig around the plant, then start going down and try popping them up.They are not to hard to work with.Dont prune to much off , you can use that to pull up with.I dug trees for three long years, my three cents. good luck:D

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

ive "ripped" out azaelas about the size u describe, shovel and back, didnt use much care either, transplanted them in my own yard, still living four yrs later

6. Bower's

Bower's LawnSite Member

thanx alot for all the input, you guys and gals on here are great!:)