removing bamboo

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by BW Landscaping, Mar 22, 2007.

1. BW Landscaping

BW Landscaping LawnSite Member

I have a customer who has bamboo growing from her beds and her lawn, her neighbor startted a bamboo garden and let it go, and so now its in my customers yard, now i know they root very deep, how do i remove them so they will not come back???? and have her lawn look great???need advice on this one:usflag:

2. BW Landscaping

well......??? anyone???? did i actually stump everyone?

3. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

you need to put a root barier in so they don't grow where they are not wanted

4. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

pretty much what Drew says. If it is a running bamboo, which it sounds like, any remnant of root will sprout new and more numerous culms. The only way to stop it from entering "your" property is a root barrier buried to about 24" or more and running the entire length of the property. The best would have been if the person that planted it had done this to keep it under control. You are basically creating a planting container without a bottom, the roots of bamboo don't typically go deep. You will still occasionally need to keep an eye out for any roots that will climb over the 2" or 3" inches of barrier you leave above grade. Or you can just keep cutting anything that comes up in your clients yard.

This is just one of many sources.
    http://www.berkeysupply.com/bamboo-barriers.html

Kirk

5. BW Landscaping

wow this is great thank you

6. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

do you have access to explosives?

7. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

pour concrete all over it

8. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

What is that stuff made out of is it a fabric or metal? How do you install it? Trencher? do you put all of it under the ground or should part of it be left out of the ground?

9. elmo1537

elmo1537 LawnSite Member

bamboo sucks big time. good luck getting rid of it:hammerhead:

10. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

The barriers are made of rigid plastic. You can dig a trench by hand or with a trencher if it will go deep enough, and you leave a few inches above grade to deter any surface roots from escaping. You will have to keep an eye on it as some roots will try to go over the top, but cutting them off will be easier and more effective.

http://www.americanbamboo.org/GeneralInfoPages/ControllingBamboo.html

Kirk