Removing black plastic edging?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by kppurn, Mar 9, 2007.

1. kppurn

kppurn LawnSite Senior Member

I'm submitting a bid for a job that includes removing the plastic edging around the beds. A long time customer is moving into a new home and they want it removed prior to mulching the beds this spring.

I have never installed or removed this stuff. I'm looking for a general idea of the man hours involved here. This stuff looks to be every bit of five to six inches deep and I'm assuming it's staked in? The ground was still a little frozen, so it was hard to dig around and really see.

300 ft. of edging needs to be removed. Any ideas of the time involved and the best method for removing it? Thanks

2. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

should be able to rip it right up, we do it here all the time. If you take your time when doing it you'll have very little clean up. Maybe 2 hours or so. I personally refuse to install it, it's a pita, and it just looks cheap.

3. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

Rips up very easily if the soil is moist, and if you get good at it you can get a nice natural edge out of it, just make sure you pull in so you don't rip up all the turf on the outside of the edge. I would definitely wait until the ground is unfrozen, and explain that to the customer. As for the staking, that is more for frost heaving typically so it shouldn't hold a big strong man from pulling it out.

Do they want new stuff installed? Or is it going to be natural edge instead? You may want to get an edger before finishing the job with mulch as you dont want the mulch to be at the same height as the turf edge.
    My guess is it would take 2 - 3 hours to rip it out, if it is the same plastic stuff we use (5 inch profile, with stakes every 4 feet or so). Disposal will take some time and you will have a little mess to clean up, so figure another couple hours maybe to repair as is. Plus your time to put down the new mulch

4. kppurn

kppurn LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the replies. They want a natural edge to the beds, like they had in their old house.

I wanted to make sure this wasn't going to be one of those jobs that looks rather easy and turns into a nightmare. Now I need to figure out where to get rid of this stuff. I know I can't take it to the dump I use.

Thanks again

5. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

all plastic can be recycled. call your local recycling center

6. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

get a dumpster.

7. Stafford Landscaping

Stafford Landscaping LawnSite Member

The dumpster thing was the smartest thing I think I have done. I have one at my shop. I bring trash home from jobs and throw it in and they come and empty it on a regular basis and the same price every month.