Removing blades to sharpen???

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by 4curbappeal, Mar 29, 2007.

1. 4curbappeal

4curbappeal LawnSite Senior Member

I am trying to remove old blades to sharpen or replace on one of my walkbehinds and can't get it to budge. The other blade came off fairly easy, but the larger one closest to the discharge chute will not move. I don't have an impact wrench, but have never needed one! Any suggestions??? Thanks

2. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

Box end wrench and a piece of pipe as a "cheater" bar.

3. 4curbappeal

Not working either! I really don't want to take it to the dealer. Any more ideas?

4. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

Are you blocking the blade in the deck so that the spindle and blade cannot move?

5. 4curbappeal

Yes, after a few minutes to rest and calm down I put my ass into it a little and got it! Thanks everyone!!!

6. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

Grease the spindle bolts before you put them back. It will help a little for next time....

7. SLR

SLR LawnSite Gold Member

Heating bolt would have been an option,just as long as it wasn't overly torched'n'tempered.

8. DJL50

DJL50 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a cheap air impact wrench like you get at Harbor Freight for $20. Works good for my needs. I once had a blade bolt that would not come off. Tried a 1/2" breaker bar with a 4' black pipe and bent the breaker bar. Air wrench also did not work. I had a can of Teflon lube that comes in a blue can from Lowe’s. (Displayed with the WD40 etc…) sprayed it on and let it set for 1/2 hour or so. That bolt came off with a regular hand wrench. I have a lot of woodworking equipment I use the stuff on because when it dries, it will not attract dust like oil will.

9. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

I always apply anti seize compound to the threads and just under the head of the bolt. Any auto parts store will have it.

10. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I have never used this method on a mower but a little WD 40. Then you put a hammer or something on one side of the bolt as a back up. Just hold it firmly against one side and then lightly tap the other side. Then repeat moving around the bold. It should come right off. This helps work the WD 40 in and break the bond/rust.

a little grease is a good idea once it is loose and you put it back on.