Removing Blades

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by troberts, Sep 12, 2001.

1. troberts

troberts LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Is there a trick to keeping the blades from turning while trying to loosen them?

While looking under the mower from the front, I attempt to turn the bolt counter clockwise to loosen the bolt. Naturally, the blade simply spins as I turn the bolt, and I get no where.

Is there a trick to this, or do you just try to wedge something in and go for it?

Thanks,

TMR
    BTW, I'm dealing with a Metro 48"

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

To the best of MY knowledge, the Metro uses a through bolted hollow spindle shaft with an 8" x 5/8" spindle bolt. Simply put one 15/16" wrench on the top nut and another 15/16" wrench on the bolt head under the blade. Then loosen.

Maybe your dealer should have covered some of this basic information with you when he delivered this unit to you?

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I don,t know how the Metro is, but my Lazer has two flat edges on the spindle, right above the blade, for a wrench. When the bolts are really torqued in as was on my friends mower, we used a good sized block of wood, wedging it between the blade edge and different parts of the deck.

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

TMR,

Good question, and one the comes up often. there are several things you can do but before we get into that I would also recommend a good pair of leather gloves as well. You don't want to have something slip and get a hand in the way.

The most common way to remove the blades among the commercial guys is probably an impact gun. These are available in pneumatic or electric and use a mechanical hammering or impact to loose the blades. The look like an enlarged drill and accept a high strength socket that fits the head of the blade bolt.

On a floating deck model you can use a block of wood or a large vise grip clamped to the rear baffle. If you have a fixed deck model like a Metro or a Viking 5-speed generally it's not a problem because you have a wrench above on the top nut and a wrench below on the head of the bolt and your pulling the wrenches in opposite directions.

Thanks

Terry

5. eXmark

TMR,

Just to add a little to Terry's, Runner's, and TLS's excellent suggestions.
    It's alright to lock the blades in place using the bolt on fixed decks. However on floating decks, do not use the top nut to hold the spindle in position to remove the blade bolts. You may actually loosen the spindle nut which maintains clamp load on the spindle bearings.
    Some times trying to stick a board in the deck to lock the blades can be cumbersome, and nearly impossible on a deck with the mulch kit installed. In the lab, when we were out testing, we would clamp a set of locking-pliers onto a flow control baffle, rotate the blade up against it, and then turn the blade bolt off with a breaker bar.
    Whatever you guys or gals do, just be safe!

Thanks,
    Lenny

6. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

OK this has to do with another post of mine but anyway i wrote to exmark asking how to change my blades to and that was a great help. They gave me a couple ways to do it. SO i picked the one with the peice of wood. After i got the blade off my belt was torn and then i just had the dealer change the other blade and he found that the deck was bent. I guess that way did some damage. what could i of done wrong?

7. troberts

troberts LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Lenny/Terry,

I have a fixed deck Metro 48", so it sounds like I attack from the top and bottom with two wrenches.

The top nut is above the deck on top of the belt pulley?
    This bolt goes all the way through from the blade, out the top?

Sorry to sound so stupid, but I'm used to changing the balde on a Toro Super recycler 21".

I think I get it now, but just wanted to be sure considering the last post (Deck/Belt damage - grassyfras).

Thanks,

TMR

8. eXmark

TMR,

You got it. The Metro and the Viking fixed deck mower have one long bolt that goes through the blade, the spindle and the belt pulley on the top side of the mower deck.

On a floating deck the blade bolt is only a couple of inches long and, Lenny is correct you should not use the top nut for leverage because you can loosen the clamp load on the spindle bearings decreasing bearing life.

Good questions. We all start somewhere and the guys who don't ask a lot of questions don't always stay around very long. Heck I ask a lot of questions, I just never ask Lenny.

Thanks

Terry

9. eXmark

Grassyfras,

I doubt you could have bent a deck changing blades. Generally there are a couple of ways that you can bend a deck and changing blades isn't one we've heard. Send me an e-mail with your serial number, dealer name and a description of how the deck was bent, i.e. down, up left right etc. My e-mail address is terry.eckert@exmark.com.

Thanks

Terry

10. gogetter

gogetter Banned

For my 36" Metro I have to use a socket on top and bottom. This can be kinda hard to reach both at the same time while applying pressure.
    So I slip a snug fitting pipe over the ends of each ratchet 9pipes are 2' long).
    This way I don't have to stretch my arms around to reach and the pipes give me lotsa leverage so it's easy to loosen and tighten the bolt.