Removing brake drums on 2008 super Z

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by ArTurf, Dec 8, 2011.

1. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

I need to remove the brake drums on my Super Z to replace the wheel studs. Somehow the lug nuts worked loose and ate up the threads before my worker realized it was loose. Do I just remove the 1 3/4" nut that holds the drum on and then work the drum off? I know sometimes it can be stubborn on cars. Any tips appreciated.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

There is a procedure you will need to go thru to remove the drum from the shaft, it is not as simple as removing the nut unfortunately.
    And you will need to install it correctly also.
    E-mail me and I will send you the information you need.

Pj

3. nickles20

nickles20 LawnSite Member

I need to replace a few studs as well. One of my guys was driving on 2 lugs and now I need to replace 3. tjc3401@hotmail.com is my email. Thank you in advance for your help.

4. hustlermidwest

hustlermidwest LawnSite Senior Member

Nickles20.
    Please send me the model and seriel number of your unit. I don't want to send just any hub removal sheet, I would like to be sure I send the correct one. In the meantime, start looking for a big toque wrench!

Brian O

5. nickles20

nickles20 LawnSite Member

Got it all fixed...borrowed the CJ129 3 finger hub remover and it popped right off.

6. hustlermidwest

Don't forget your big boy torque wrench!

Brian O

7. monoshock

monoshock LawnSite Bronze Member

Put some anti seize on the hub and shaft so next time it will come off a lot easier.

8. blackwahl

blackwahl LawnSite Member

Hey, read your post about removing the drum on a hustler. My brake backing plate came loose, brake shoes spun and are all bent up. The bolts inside that hold the backing plate to the wheel motor came out. Machine has 207hrs hustler x one 2011. I pulled the wheel motor right off. I am located in cazenovia. Can you give me some guidance or call me to help. This drum broke my puller.

names Blake
    thank you

9. hustlermidwest

Strongly suggest bringing it into the dealer. There is a SB on that issue. SB505 I believe.

Brian O

10. hustlermidwest

Get your big boy tools out.

Brian O

Attached Files: