Removing bricks?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by LawnMowerMan2003, Jul 14, 2014.

1. LawnMowerMan2003

LawnMowerMan2003 LawnSite Senior Member

A customer offered me $200 to remove some brick walls that go around some of his trees. I think I would have done it for $200, but I'm not really sure how to estimate a job like that. I would have taken a picture, but I forgot my camera phone the last time I went to mow his lawn. The customer said he's going to wait on the job, but I'm trying to figure out what I should charge, because I had another customer ask about something similar.

The walls are square; some of them have started to break, but I would need to break them into moveable pieces with a sledge hammer, I'm guessing. I counted approximately 25 bricks on each section of wall, so about 100 bricks per tree. There were 4 trees with the same type of wall around them, so I estimated 400 bricks total. I have no idea how much 400 bricks weigh or if I can haul them all in my Ranger. I'd like to figure this out in case the customer (or another customer) decides to do this in the future.

2. Pressedun

Pressedun LawnSite Fanatic

$200 is too low for me I think but then again I'd have to see it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. E-mans Hardscapes

E-mans Hardscapes LawnSite Member

Mortared together I'm assuming? Any rough dimensions?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. PenningsLandscaping

PenningsLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

That's not nearly enough. Just to cover the cost of my time and dumping fees and gas I charge .18 a pound for non yard waste material. The cost is almost double what he's offering you, not including the weight of mortar. I'd multiply that number by 4.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. ztman

ztman LawnSite Bronze Member

A standard brick weighs five pounds. You will be making atleast three trips

6. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

$1000.00 out the door. You will actually make a profit and not want to take on the job again, however you will have a great learning experience in the process.
    If the customer looks at you kinda of funny just remember how much he actually offered you to do the job for 1/5 the price.
    easy-lift guy

7. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Perhaps a starting point would be to have knowledge on finances and understanding how to derive at a profit.

$200 is way too low. You'll use $40 in gas, unless you ride around in a horse and buggy.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. SRT8

SRT8 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CA

Horses eat too. Lol
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. LawnMowerMan2003

LawnMowerMan2003 LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I'm glad I didn't do the job yet, then. I could take pictures if that helps, but if he calls me back he's probably not going to pay $1000, since he apparently thinks it's only worth $200. I don't know exactly what the dumping fees are, but I think there's a $30 minimum, so it might be better to rent a trailer, if I was going to do it. But even then 2000 pounds, plus the trailer weight sounds too high for my truck.

If you look at the bricks, it doesn't really look like $1000 worth of work, but I may have reconsidered once I broke the first one up and loaded it. The approximate size was about 1 foot high by 3 feet long on each wall.

Anyway, I'm glad I checked here before I underbid something like this. Maybe this guy is like the customer who asked me about hauling off some brush. The brush would have taken at least 3 trips in my Ranger, and he wanted to pay me $50!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  10. PenningsLandscaping

PenningsLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

You never let people dictate what something costs. You don't let someone offer you work for x amount of dollars. They can set a budget, but this is different.

Had a guy call me wanting to pay me 40 a week from November to March to plow his enormous driveway and salt it. I laughed and said no friggin way. Wouldn't budge, so I told him to call someone else that can't do math.
    Posted via Mobile Device