1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Removing bush how to?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by gogetter, Nov 19, 2001.

1. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Hi guys. Customer asked me to remove bush from front yard. Not sure what kind it is, but it's about 5' to 6' tall, maybe 3.5' to 4' around. Doesn't have one central trunk, but rather many stems. I would say the grouping of stems is about 1' in diameter at the base.

What's the best way to go about removing this? I thought:

1. Use loppers to cut each stem as close to ground as possible, but then how do I get rid of stump area?

2. Use shovel to dig around it and try to dig the whole thing out? Just not sure how big the roots are and whether or not the shovel will cut through them.

Thoughts? Thanks!
  2. CHC

CHC LawnSite Member

Depends on access: we use one of two methods. 1. Cut off most of branches/stems, leaving a 2'+ stump. Dig around it to loosen things up a bit, back a truck up to it, hook on a chain and drive slowly forward. 2. Cut off branches as before. Using a skidloader with forks, slide forks under stump and gently work it out of the ground. Haven't found one that we couldn't get out with one of these methods. Good luck
  3. Lawns2nv

Lawns2nv LawnSite Member

I would use loppers to remove the branches, then use a chainsaw to flush the stump. In the past i have used my stump grinder, to get rid of the stump. A small stump grinder works out great.