Removing Bushes and trees

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by jsteveharris, Jan 29, 2001.

1. jsteveharris

jsteveharris LawnSite Member

I am bidding on a job which will include removing
    59 shrubs and 19 Holly trees. What do most charge to remove and dispose of shrubs and trees? The shrubs are straight in a line and the trees are also. The trees are about 18 - 24 ft. tall. The shrubs vary from 2 ft. tall to 4 ft. tall and about 2 - 3 ft. around. Would a mini excavator do better than a diesel contractor to remove this stuff?

2. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

A few questions for you, Are you going to replant anything there? Is there a chance that you could sell the trees(if they are good quality) and are you able to haul off the stumps.

3. jsteveharris

jsteveharris LawnSite Member

Maybe 10 boxwoods are reusable, all the others are in terrible shape and I am able to haul off the stumps.

4. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

chain saw them down and pull out stumps get good money for the repair

5. SpringValley

SpringValley LawnSite Member

If you can dispose of everything together, I would rent a skid steer (Bobcat) and pull the shrub roots and all then you only have to deal with it once. Quote by the job and cut your labor to make more money.

Matt

6. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

In these parts, its becoming very difficult and/or expensive to dispose of stumps, so most contractors are grinding them.

Check your disposal options before you find yourself sitting on 78 stumps with no home.

7. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

It may be cheaper to rent a dumpster for a day instead of hauling yourself. I would shop around and call tree surgeons to see if they could supply you with a chipper and operator. A small guy would probably jump at the chance for some easy chipping.

jeffyr

8. BUSHMASTER

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

depending on what is being done with the area yank out the bushes cut down the trees call a tree company tp grind the stumps and the trees i am sure you can find someone to use some free mulch...

9. jkinchla

jkinchla LawnSite Member
    from MA

I would cut the trees and grind the stumps to avoid stump disposal (not worth the trouble unless you are planting shrubs into the same area). And for the bushes I would just wrap each trunk with webbing or rope/chain at the base and connect this onto a loader bucket or mini-excavator with a hook and pull them right out, shake them around to unload the soil and dispose of them. Good luck - sounds like a good winter job!