removing clover etc.???

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by rickman, Jul 6, 2005.

1. rickman

rickman LawnSite Member
    from Maine

I went to look at a lawn today and it is full of dandelion,and clover etc. the woman wants the weeds gone! Im not sure what I can use that wont kill the surounding grass,and whats the best way and the best stuff ??
    I have not done thsi before but I fingered heres a good place to start...if anyone can help me figure out how and what to use this is the place that would know :waving: any help greatly appriciated :help:

2. Chris Wagner

Chris Wagner LawnSite Senior Member

I'll try to be cordial about this...

Most states, Maine probably included, require a license to apply pesticides (homeowner are generally exempt... except the purchase of some restricted use pesticides).

So, if you don't even know what 2-4D is or what may or may not kill weeds and not lawns, your best move would be to read as much as you can and take the tests and/or course your state may offer.

There is also a wealth of information here, but you can't expect everyone to give you all the answers we've all worked so hard to learn ourselves. Some of it, you'll have to do on your own.

But, I'd leave the applications to a licensed pro.

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

4. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I agree with Chris. If you do not know what will will broadleaf weeds or the difference between selective and nonselective herbicides you probably shouldn't make any applications. You could do serious damage.

5. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

rickman, You need a license here in Maine to do the application of any pesticide. We do alot of apps for landscapers who don't want to deal with the pesticides and are smart enough to have us do it. All the weeds mentioned are very common and not a problem to control. You need to sub this out to someone else for the customer.

6. rickman

rickman LawnSite Member
    from Maine

yep already took that step! and am already lookin into the steps to learn it
    and get licensed...thats what I was saying,is Im not going to do something Im not sure about,and seems to me theres lots of stuff out there!
    So better to keep out of it till I get into it the right way...Most of my customers are so anal about "no sprays" etc. that I never botherd to get into it,never had a need too,so I got another guy I know real well thats been doing it for years and will save me the hassle and make it right.Ive never had anything but great thanks on all my services,so no sence to screw it up now
    my burning up someones lawn :realmad: :D thanks again peeps

7. richard coffman

richard coffman LawnSite Senior Member

ok,

your wanting to know you answer on this question of your right?? after getting your certified chemical license(like 99% of us on the site do have), look into using a r-11 surfactant (sticker spreader) with your weed control. I don't know what you use up in main, but currently I'm using triplet (weed control) here in Utah. what makes your weed so hard to control is the wax protective barrier it naturally has, the r-11 surfactant bonds to the weed better and breaks down the wax barrier. as soon as this happens, the weed control can do it's job in controlling the weeds. in a lawn with hevy infestation of weeds, it'll take 2 to 3 treatments to get under control, but temperature and control amounts do have a big factor in this as well. hope this helps you out.

respectfully

Richard Coffman/owner

8. sprayman73703

sprayman73703 LawnSite Member

I still like Corsair and Manor tank mixed with a 2 oz. of 2-4,d per acre mixed with it. That will absolutly kill dandelions and clover and do it for about 9 months depending on how much rain you get during that time. Good luck!

9. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I have had really good success using trimec + for clover control in my tall fescue lawns. A few things to keep in mind though: 1) don't apply if the temp. is above 80 degrees F. 2) should be watered in approx. 6 hours after application.

These fellas are giving good advice about the pest license but don't let them discourage you and beat you down over it. Just DON'T use anything right now without some consultation from this site for sure. Now, all you other guy's go ahead and roast the heck out of me for giving him some encouragement:D

10. MacPhersonlawn

MacPhersonlawn LawnSite Member

These fellas are giving good advice about the pest license but don't let them discourage you and beat you down over it. Just DON'T use anything right now without some consultation from this site for sure. Now, all you other guy's go ahead and roast the heck out of me for giving him some encouragement:D[/QUOTE]
    Actually. I came here with a question about clover but after beginning this thread I was a little reluctant to ask. I thought this was a place to ask questions...
    (I do have my applicators license)

I have a customer who built a new home last year and had sod installed for his whole lawn. He was told that it contained a great deal of clover and oh does it! It is just about all clover. I did a fertilizer application in late April (Lesco with crab grass control) and another one in late June (Lesco with weed control). It has had very little effect on the clover and he has asked me what can be done. I'm located in Massachusetts.