Removing concrete slab

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by saktate, Dec 6, 2002.

1. saktate

saktate LawnSite Member

I am the homeowner of the concrete slab in the photo, which measures about 26x36 feet and is 6 inches thick. It was poured about 25 years ago over dirt with no rebar or wire. I need to remove this slab so a new foundation can be poured for a three car garage. I do not own any heavy equipment. I need suggestions as to what equipment I should rent to complete this job. A 40 foot container is available to me to put the waste in for $230. Thank you,

view aerial 2.jpg

2. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

Minimum 80 lb. hammer with a compressor, available at any rental place. A skid loader would be nice to lift into a container, or a loader tractor. May need a concrete saw if slab is attached to something. Sledge hammer for bust ups and qick breaks, and a strong back.

3. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

If you rent a skid steer to load the stuff into the container with, consider also renting the jack hammer attachment for it. You can bust that slab up in no time. I haven't used one of these, but I did watch. Prepare to be shook up. The fact that there is no steel in the slab will help out tremendously.
    Of course you will need eye and ear protection, this attachment is one serious machine.
    Crawdad

4. saktate

saktate LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice. I may also remove some of the asphalt for aesthetic reasons but I expect that to just crumble compared to the concrete. Thanks again.

5. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

Something to consider is the weight of the concrete to be hauled away. At 125-150 pounds per cubic foot, you have approximately 60,000-70,000 pounds of broken concrete to haul. I'm not sure of the weight capacity of the 40 foot container but I would be very surprised if it could handle that much weight in one load.

6. saktate

saktate LawnSite Member

The truth is I never thought about the weight capacity of the 40 foot container. I'll get that resolved before I begin. Thanks, I needed to hear that.

7. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I figured it out you got roughly 34 tons of rubble once busted up a standard gravel truck can only carry 15 tons legally but can pack 16 tons. With rip rap like that you can't get full 15 tons because concrete is bulky and you end up with lots of gaps and air spaces. You can expect atleast 3 gravel truck loads this would be a truck with a 16'6" box a standard West Coast truck.

A 40 yard rolloff container can only carry max 15 ton you can get a bit more into one because of the extra lenght but not much more.

If I was gonna do the job I would probably use a EX-150 sized excavator with a hydraulic thumb and hook the bucket under the slab and lift it up. With concrete being 25 years old its brittle as chalk and no rebar or reinforcing in it even better it would bust up nice. Theres no need for a jack hammer you start on one corner that will peal up like a piece of cake then load the chunks into a gravel truck. Having a hydraulic thumb on the excavator is a must because it can grab onto those chunks without dropping them. I figure it wouldn't take anymore than 2-3 hours to bust that up it all depends on how far a person would have to haul it.

It would be cheaper to hire a local excavation contractor to come in and remove the slab trying todo it with a jack hammer and a skid steer will take a long time. You can get a hydraulic hammer for a skid steer but then you got alot of hand work picking up the chunks and throw it into the bucket.

If your worried about a steel tracked machine on the pavement you lay some plywood down or throw a layer of sand down to give the tracks some cushion.

Good luck

8. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Better yet, get a 10,000 Bobcat or other brand mini-excavator with rubber tracks and a hyd. thumb. Take the bucket, bust it up a little at the corners and you got it.

9. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

A heavier mini could do it a Kubota 151X will do it one of the contractors here I work with has one in his excavation business and its surprising what that machine can do. Its on steel tracks so but the tracks are 18-20"s wide so they don't do that much damage.

You can get a breaker attachment for mini excavators now I don't know if they available as rental units thou it will help get the concrete broke up.

Our point is a excavator is the only way togo you need a machine with a hydraulic thumb don't even try do the job with a thumbless machine. A mechanical thumb will work but its slower and takes more skill to grab onto pieces with it a hydraulic thumb is fast and nimble.

10. saktate

saktate LawnSite Member

Well, there's certainly plenty to do on my property and I try to pick and choose the work I can do to save a little cash (couple kids still at the house). I'd have never thought it would be cheaper to hire a pro. I suppose I'll check out rental fees and such and then have a pro provide an estimate. Any money saved can go into the garage I'll build.

I've got to admit, I was looking forward to the power trip I know I'd experience running some heavy toys! I just finished busting up old chicago brick sidewalk layed on top of an even older concrete walk 24 foot long. I used a maul and cold chisel. Hard work but made me feel alive. I remember watching my Dad work hard like this when I was a boy (most times using more muscle than brains) but it sure instilled a respectable work ethic in me.

Didn't mean to ramble, just sippin first cup of coffee and trying to get educated.