1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Removing Concrete

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by theWRIGHTcut, Jul 30, 2008.

1. theWRIGHTcut

theWRIGHTcut LawnSite Member

I have a customer that wants me to take away about 3 tons of concrete he removed from behind his shop... i have an F350 mason dump and a place to dump the material... they charge 50$ a dump, does anyone have any suggestions on what to charge per trip to the dump for something like this? I know someone is gonna reply that i need to figure out my expenses but i'm just lookin to see if anyone had a set price they charge people for this kinda thing... i'm out of central jersey... thanks!

2. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Who's loading it into the truck? How many trips you planning? How far is the dump?

3. theWRIGHTcut

just me... probably two trips and approx 10 miles away

4. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

Whats up neighbor?Where are you taking it, Clayton in Edison?I dont know, maybe $60 an hour for you and $60 hour for truck, plus dumping fee. 4 hour job?$480 plus disposal.Easily clear $300 after fixed expenses of your business. Go do another job for $300 profit and not a bad days work for solo (assumption) At $600 a day. Also I'm assuming there small enough for you to hand load. Knowing what you need to make in a day makes it easier to bid.

5. theWRIGHTcut

yep, all hand loaded... thats true, daily income easy to base a bid on... makes sense... but yeah, i figure i'm gonna charge him 100 bucks per trip to the dump... no, VOLLERS over in whitehouse... it's a straight shot down rt 22... 100 bucks per trip not including the dump fee... so we'll see how that goes... if it only winds up taking one trip i figure maybe i'll charge 135, or so? idk thanks for the figures to compare to....

6. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

I'd get a quote to get a dumpster on the job, then just figure labor to load. Concrete has to be hard on a dump bed.

7. sunray237

sunray237 LawnSite Member

Doesn't take much concrete to make a 3000 pound load.
    I figure my daily rate and a tank of fuel plus dump fees.
    don't be shy just give him the price and when you can do it.
    If he's already your customer
    , he knows your work and you are dependable and he does not have to waste his time looking for someone else.

8. theWRIGHTcut

yeah, lol he said 3 tons... i checked it out and it might be a bit more... when i go to the recycling plant they just charge me by the size of my bed... 2 cu. yards of debris, i think this will be a solid 3 trips...

9. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I'm assuming you are going to go right down 22 and drop off at Vollers. Why go to edison from bridgewater.

Anyhow, figure just you and two trips is a half a day labor plus your costs. I dunno uneducated guess...500 bucks.

10. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

just read that you are going to vollers...you probablly know but they charge by load not by weight. Back of my short bed pickup runs me about 35 bucks. Dump trailer about 8 or so yards ran me around 85-90...was awhile back can't remember.

not sure if you are aware but they won't accept anything mixed in with there concrete since they are state certified. First time I ever went there I had some paper left over from some bags of concrete we repoured...I'm talking not even a handful...he made me go dumpster diving and pick all the crap out. FYI thats all.