Removing Cotoneaster?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by nwlandscaping, Mar 23, 2007.

1. nwlandscaping

nwlandscaping LawnSite Member

This has been the biggest pain in the butt job to date. We are on a 45degree incline removing this horrible shrub. It seems impossible to remove completely, since there are so many offshoots. Below there is a small rock retaining wall, so that is partially why we haven't used a mini excavator(the other being we've never used one before lol). Does anyone have any suggestions on a more efficient way of removing this mess? I also plan on spraying Cross-bow on it once we are finished to insure that it doesn't come back. Plan on laying down typar, then barking over that.

2. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Cottoneaster is an awesome plant in the right area...unfortunately it is used in the wrong area 9 outta 10 times. A mini is a great idea- but you're right, total removal would be near impossible without excavation and you are not able to do that. Can you aggressively till and rake it out?? Might wrap in the tiller and become a pain though.... Cross-Bow is good- i'd drench it while the root/offshoot injuries are fresh.

3. nwlandscaping

nwlandscaping LawnSite Member

Great, thanks! It extends for about 100 or so feet, but for some reason the middle portion is dead, a lot of it is covered in moss so I wasnt sure if it choked it off. We thought about tilling it, but had the same worries as you. Its remarkable how much we have removed, but we are primarily just removing whats on top of the ground. I think we'll Crossbow it asap, but waiting for it to stop raining.