Removing Deck Belt Guards

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Canadian GreenScape, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Canadian GreenScape

Canadian GreenScape LawnSite Member

Is there any reason why I should leave the belt guard on my 54" deck? It gets packed with grass and im afraid the spindles will overheat or somthing.. I know theres the obvious thing of not stepping on the belt but is there anything else I should consider? Does everyone else remove them?

2. GeeVee

GeeVee LawnSite Senior Member

Drag a tree branch into the belt/sheave and you'll get whacked.

Open, it will colect even more.

Don't step on a deck, anywhere.

3. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I assume you are talking about the plastic guards on the 7 Iron decks? I remove all of mine, all they do is pack full of grass and blowing them out is easier with them off.

4. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

I remove them several times a day and blow the area out to remove the debris. Removing them will not help keep the grass out. Leave them in place.

5. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

How do you get any lawns mowed? I don't have time to do that!! LOL

6. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

Some days its all I can do just to put gas in mine, let alone removing and blowing out my belt guards several times a day. Im not saying doing it is a bad thing, I just aint got that kind a time.

7. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Hire some help guys. I do that while my guys are finishing up the trimming/edging/blowing. I usually have 5 or 10 minutes before they catch me. Plenty of time. Takes only a few minutes for each mower.

8. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I started removing the deck pulley/belt covers years ago on all my mowers. All they did was trap wet grass and cause rust problems. I blow the grass off the deck's at the end of the day. I have not had any problems caused by not having the covers on.

9. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

No belt covers on my turftiger..