Removing Discharge chute ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turf Dancer, May 17, 2003.

1. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone know if removing a Discharge chute on a walkbehind is an OSHA violation ? I was wondering because I about to buy a one and from the looks of things I will be hiring an employee by next spring ! Since I never discharge I was thinking of just pulling the chute off when I get the machine so I won't have to worry about it getting in my way all the time when attaching the bagger.

2. a1 lawncare

a1 lawncare LawnSite Member

you say your never discharging, so would you not have a plate over the chute for mulching, i've got a bolt on plate for my exmark mulching kit. but i prefer to run it wide open. the osha deal, knowing how safety people are i would imagine they would frown on the removal of any safety devices. but hardly anybody around here even has them on there machines, if they do there bungied up.

3. There is a cemetery here that hired teenagers to mow. They followed OSHA regulations to the letter:

Long sleeved shirts.
    Long pants
    Heavy leather shoes
    Hard hats
    face shields.

The kids would work on a 20 minute rotation. 20 minutes working then 20 minutes in the shade.

I talked to one of the kids that worked there. He said as soon as they sat down they fell asleep from being too hot. But he didn't think some of them weren't asleep because you couldn't hardly wake them up!

I figured it'd be difficult to check these kids for brain damage because of such a low initial IQ. After all the went out in the heat of summer to mow grass wearing:

Long sleeved shirts.
    Long pants
    Heavy leather shoes
    Hard hats
    face shields.

:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

Dave

4. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

On the 48" w/b, it bungeed up, the 60"ztr, its off because of the collection system hook-up, the 72", I took off at about 1/2 hour mark.

5. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

On my Exmark and Toro mowers you can just remove the spring and flip them up out of the way, they clear fully w/o adding to the deck width. The advantage of not removing them is that sometimes you really do need to control the clippings discharge more. It's not one of those new adjustable block off plates, but it does the job ok. Even with a mulching kit installed on one Toro, I still have the discharge shoot flipped up and on the mower.

If this is a concern, you might take that into account when buying a mower, to see if this can be done.