removing fly wheel

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by haligan, Jan 27, 2006.

1. haligan

haligan LawnSite Member

Anyone have any tips on removing the fly wheel? I have a puller, but fly wheel will not budge. have broke one bolt. And yes I did remove the nut on the shaft. any suggestions?

2. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

on what? truck, mower have to be a little more specific

3. haligan

haligan LawnSite Member

20 hp vanguard engine.

4. Edgewater

Edgewater LawnSite Senior Member

If you have a broken bolt, I would do the following. A second pair of hands would be good.

Use two long (2 foot) pry bars and put them under the edge of the flywheel and apply medium pressure. Back the crankshaft nut just to the end of the thread to prevent swaging the end. Use a hammer or mallet and tap lightly on the end of the crank/nut while using the bars to apply pressure. You will feel it jump when it's free.

Adam

5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Be sure to spray the flywheel with penetrating oil or the like. Then, if the above mentioned wont work, add a moderate amount of heat to the flywheel surrouding the crankshaft, not the very outside, just that 1'' around the shaft. Maybe tap with mallet, etc.

6. smokey

smokey LawnSite Member

You have to put the nut back on the shaft after you losen it so the puller has something to "wedge" against.

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Put the puller back on and use a bigger hammer to hit on the center adjusting screw. Don;t try to use the bolts and screw to do all the work use the impact of the hammer.

8. Redneckn

Redneckn LawnSite Senior Member

/\That's the proper way./\

I'm not a big fan of putting heat on that area because of the upper seal.

9. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Yea, I thought about the potential to melt the upper seal, but I figured if you only use a little, well concentrated heat on just the flywheel itself, it may help free up the flywheel enough to break it loose before you melt down that seal. BTW, if I may ask, why are you pulling the flywheel?

10. haligan

haligan LawnSite Member

I am pulling the fly wheel, because I bought a new engine that did not have a charging system on it. I'm taking the charging system off the old engine so that I can put it on the new engine. By the way I did get it off by taking the engine and turning it upside down and bounce the shaft against the concrete. Fell off after two trys.