Removing Forsythia

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Westbrooklawn, Nov 2, 2003.

1. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

What is the best way to remove dense forsythia to prepare for replanting. I have a 120' x 25' bank area (about 35% angle), that is covered with 7' tall forsythia. Customer wants it all removed and planted with junipers. Should I try to kill the forsythia first by spraying?

I thought about renting a bobcat with 4 in 1 bucket to dig them out, but not sure if I could work that steep a bank.

Any help in the way of suggestions would be appreciated.

2. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I came across the same thing not too long ago. Truck and a chain ripped them out no problem. Be careful when you operate equipment on a slope that severe. Even with spraying you will still have some sprouts to pop back up. Just have to keep on pulling with this evasive shrub.

3. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

NCSU....thanks for the reply. I have never ripped forsythia out before, and wasn't even sure if the original root ball was intact. They seem to send shoots up everywhere.

Also....I spend a lot of time in Henderson....have a weeken place at Kerr Lake and am always running into town to get something at Lowes.....etc.!! Will look for your trucks when I'm up that way....

4. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

If ure at Lowes then its a good chance ull see me. Just look for the grey F250's with the company names. What part of the lake are you at. We do loads of work all around there.

5. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

I sprayed a row of forsythia at my house with round up twice late one summer, then cut them to the ground that fall. The following spring they grew back beautifully & I then decided they could stay where they were after all LOL. I have pulled them out with truck & chain, and dug by hand at other sites with no problem, the roots don't seem to grow too deep.

6. mexiking

mexiking LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Forsythias roots are big
    they expand and expand

7. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

truck and chain will work best.

8. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

Why on earth would your customer want to remove existing excellent bank stabilization (being established and all) and replace it with junipers? Spiny, painful to work among, useless for bank stabilization for at least 5 years, weedy (not dense enough to exclude sunlight and prevent weed seed germination) - I could go on and on...

If it's a matter of 'too wild' looking, shear 'em hard with a bladed brush cutter - they'll be fine. Be sure and tell your customer that heavy pruning will affect flowering for that year.

If customer is determined, spray first, then winch 'em out and pray for unnaturally good weather while new plantings establish (possible serious erosion issues).

9. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Forsithias root system is not that good for erosion control on a hill. Not fiberous or large enough. Juniper roots will cover much more ground quicker with its roots as well as runners. Prune the runner tips off yearly and they will look much better than forsithia.