1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Removing foundation tar from parging

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by couch, Sep 8, 2009.

1. couch

couch LawnSite Member

Hey guys,

I'm preparing to put down some pavers for our front and garage door entry , and when figuring out the finish height, there will be some areas where the tar coating on the foundation will show. Not a lot to deal with, about 1" showing for a span of about 12 feet. Is there a way to remove this? The wall is parged foundation block, and the tar coating is the roll-on stuff.

I have access to a sandblaster and power washer, not sure if these would do anything or just make more of a mess. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks
    couch

2. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

For just an inch it is way more trouble than its worth. A pic of course would help, but it is probably easiest to cover it whatever that means. Raise pavers, cobble border, wall veneer, paint, ?

3. couch

couch LawnSite Member

thanks for the reply, I was able to raise the pavers slightly near the section of the wall to hide the tar. In a few areas you can still see it, but no big deal. Much better than the 1-2" I thought that would be showing.

couch