Removing fuel

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ron mexico75, Dec 8, 2011.

1. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 LawnSite Bronze Member

What is a good way to do this? I have several pieces of equipment that have fuel in them and I want to empty the tanks for winter. Some do not have a line that can be disconnect from the tank to drain and some pieces are to big to dump and try to catch the gas in a container.

Ive tried a turkey baster before but the rubber top virtually "melted" off the top of the tube. Maybe I can try that again with a different one? :confused:

I was looking at a battery operated pump online and a siphoning kit but not sure if that's the best way.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200407825_200407825

http://www.amazon.com/Unknown-3878-...QIHE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323358661&sr=8-1

What are you all doing to remove it? Running it dry is just out of the question for some of the pieces as it would mean letting it run all day.

2. RickyDL77

RickyDL77 LawnSite Senior Member

i use an old universal electric fuel pump off my 83 mustang, it is low pressure but will empty a 5 gallon tank in little under 2 minutes with no mess. It's the type that goes inline on older 2-4 barrel automotive carbs' fuel lines, runs about $25 new at pepboys. just run some wires with alligator clips for hooking to the battery and some type of on/off switch to keep away from unwanted sparks..

I looked into buying a fluid exchanger for draining oil and gas but they can be a little pricey for something used only on occasions.

3. RGM

RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md

I use the car fuel pump also have it rigged up with alligator terminals on the end of wires so I can hook right up to the battery on my mower or truck

4. ron mexico75

hmm, ok, interesting about the fuel pump and battery.

How about that battery operated pump at Northern I posted a link to? Would that work you think? Same type of premise as what you all are using?

5. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I'm certainly not saying its the right way, and I never have nor will do it, but I have heard of guys using a shop vac...

6. RickyDL77

RickyDL77 LawnSite Senior Member

im sure it would work, just slower at 1 - 1 1/2 gallons every 5 minutes... a large 5+ gallon fuel tank would take you an est. 20-30 minutes and possibly more than one set of batteries.

7. ron mexico75

yeah, these are just small tanks though with exception of my eXmark walkbehind.

Tiller, push blower, aerator, power washer etc...

8. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Can't beat the Mighty Vac Model 1931 air activated liquid pump. Three gallon capacity, great for evacuating fuel and oil changes--no messes and no maintenance required. It appears that the manufacturer, Thomas Industries, is going through a transformation in its merger with compressor manufacturer, Gardner Denver.

It cost me around $80 about 15 years ago and has been money well spent. I don't know if they are still being made or not. Although still perfectly useable, I could use a new hose to tank fitting, my calls to the company always results in a pre recorded message that they are not accepting any orders for a period of time.

9. I must be lucky, I have never ever drained fuel tanks for winter.

10. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

You seen that on "1000 ways to die" on Spike TV