removing gaurd from shindaiwa trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by southarkansascutter, May 23, 2004.

1. southarkansascutter

southarkansascutter LawnSite Member

i have had one t231 trimmer for about a year now, a couple of weeks ago I removed the gaurd and was really impressed with how much easier it was to trim ditches and trim smoother...I purchased a back up t231 yesterday and told the dealer that I planned on removing the guard and starts telling me that it will make the head wear out prematurely and that it is not good for the trimmer.......anybody running shindaiwas with out the gaurd???? any problems????

2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

First thing I do is take mine off. Doesn't hurt them.

3. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

only downside to removing the guard is you get nailed with stuff that it doesn't block and if the line is out too far it'll wear on the clutch due to the extra rotating weight. just don't run it out a foot on each side of the head.

4. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

We run Stihl without the guards, no problems yet. I've heard it recommended to swap the Shindaiwa heads for Stihl. When the bump heads on our Stihl wear out, we plasticweld washers to the bump and they last practically forever.

5. MikeLT1Z28

lbi, what product do you use on those washers? i get tired of replacing those head covers and the spool.

6. southarkansascutter

thanks guys I have switched to the rapid loader heads and I really like them......I hated the shindaiwa tap heads.... The first two yards that I trimmed with the new t231 were disappointing....it didn't have any power and was tough to start....so much so that I called the dealer and told him he might get this one back.....it seemed to clear up before the day was over......

7. MikeLT1Z28

take the screen out of the muffler, that will give you a little more power, or at least keep it from getting carbon build up and robbing power.

8. southarkansascutter

thanks will lookat that....

9. MikeLT1Z28

it'll either be held in by a small screw, a tension clip or it may just be slipped into it. check that on all your 2 cyl equipment, blowers, edgers, etc...

10. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

You may burn a clutch out every year or so, as I do on mine. ($25)

The head on the other hand, 4 years and I am still on the original head on my t270