1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Removing Grass Stains

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GrasMstr, Mar 9, 2008.

1. GrasMstr

GrasMstr LawnSite Member

What does everyone use to remove the stains from the mower deck.
    Do you use the same on the body of the mower.
    There was a post about 7 years ago on here but I thought there might be something new to add.
    I used to cut a car wash and bartered off the whole rig cleanup, they used something I think they called Hot Purple. They are no longer the owners so I can"t ask.
  2. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

I soak citrus cleaner on my equipment for a few minutes then spray it in the car wash.
  3. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Dont ever spray the bottom of a deck with a pressure washer. You are asking for trouble. Just scrape them off and if the stains bother you that much hand wash them.
  4. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

greased lightning does a good job
  5. happylandscaper

happylandscaper LawnSite Member

purple power from walmart is what we use. spray it on let it set for 5 min and mowers look like new.
  6. GrasMstr

GrasMstr LawnSite Member

Sorry that is what I meant (hand wash). The car wash used to spray with cleaner then brush and then spray it off.
    And truly the stains do bother me that much. Especially on the newer stuff.
    I guess I am just trying to pretend they are still worth what I paid for them.
  7. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Lots of people take pressure washers to the bottom of the deck and start blowing out seals and other stuff.

Just wanted to make sure you knew. I dont want anyone causing damage to their mowers.
  8. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

i spray bleche white on it and let it set for a little bit , them wash it with soap and water.
  9. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Ya I never hit the bottom and I am pretty careful about the top too. Stay away from wiring and blasting anything hard. The only reason I go to the carwash instead of garden hose is that it seems easier.
  10. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Never pressure wash the bottom of the decks?
    Must of been doing something wrong for twenty years as all of my machines are p/w once a month top to bottom - never had problems with seals/bearings/electrical either.
    The pre-wash process is to fill an air rechargeable container with a 50/50 mix of simple green/bleach and spray the entire machine after it has been blown of accumulated debris.
    By the time the twenty odd machines are sprayed, they have soaked long enough to be p/w clean.
    Takes two guys about an hour and a half to do all of the machines including the deck bottoms.