Removing Grease Caps on Castors

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GravelyGuy, Apr 12, 2008.

1. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

Do you guys have any tricks for getting the little grease caps off of my Gravely 34Z? I tried taking a small screw driver around the edge slowly, but I think there is probably a better way since this is chipping a lot of paint off.

2. Dstosh

Dstosh LawnSite Senior Member

Try plugging the weep hole and pump it full of grease. The grease itself should pop the cap off. Why do you want to get them off anyways?
  3. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

The front castors are non greasable on Gravely mowers. There is no grease fitting. You are supposed to take them off every 400 hours and try to pack them with grease.

I just found this tool, but I need to get this done today.
  4. js.lawn

js.lawn LawnSite Member

use a pair of channel locks with a rag in it so you dont mar them up
  5. snowjeep

snowjeep LawnSite Senior Member

gravely guy sorry to change topic on your post. I just got a 2006 34z, do you have any problems with the 21x7 rear tires tearing up grass or rutting being so skinny? I looked for a 21x8 but had no luck.
  6. Dstosh

Dstosh LawnSite Senior Member

Oh I didnt realize they were non greasable. See if you can get a pair of knipex aligator pliers. They are the best. Hands down.
  7. gmlcinc

gmlcinc LawnSite Member

Have u tried a hammer and a chisel? They should pop right off. Or if your worried about the paint maybe vise grips if you have a set big enough...
  8. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

I am just trying to picture what you are discussing. Are they like bearing caps on a trailer hub? Thanks. If so a few light blows with a dbh or plastic mallet striking the side of the cap between the radius of the crown and the lip at the base, aiming in an upward direction ( I would guess these caps are on the top pushed down into the bracket?) should get it. Alternate the strikes from one side (work around the cap) to the other if it doesn't come right off.
  9. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

44DCNF, they are like a trailer.

I finally got them to come off. I had to get a little more violent with the chissel and hammer than I would have thought lol.

It's kind of strange, the trim side really needed greased, but the other side would have been fine.

Snowjeep, the tires WILL rut in waterlogged areas so you will need to be careful and stay away from hills! I haven't really had any problems on the turns, but I make a conscious effort about these things so that people won't complain about me having a "big" mower on their lawn. My rear tires are like racing slicks right now, they have no tread at all left on them:laugh:

I'm sure you will love your 34Z if you are coming from a walkbehind.
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I was going to suggest start with about a 1 or 2 inch scraper and insert it working around. Then, you should be able to get a small screwdriver in. The key is to keep moving side to side and keep it even.