1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Removing hedges

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Roachy, May 21, 2011.

1. Roachy

Roachy LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I have a job where a lady wants about 5 large hedge plants removed. The hedge row is about 12ft long. I wasnt sure if I could just cut them below the ground level with a chain saw and just pour some concentrate roundup on the stumps, or if I needed to actually remove the roots. Also, what is a good price range for something like this.
  2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Do you have access to a winch?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. Hell on Blades

Hell on Blades LawnSite Senior Member

Cut the BOTTOM branches, chain them to your hitch and pull.

$70 each, $50 extra (total) to bring in more backfill if you can't level the existing soil.

She'll think you're a god.
  4. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Pull carefully so you can cut the roots as you pull. Try not to rip out irrigation if in place. I have a bumper mounted winch. Worth every penny. Especially when a Z craps out and has to loaded on the trailer.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

You don't want to leave the stump. Get the root ball out and the small roots with decompose into the soil. Just dig around them, hook a chain up to the truck and start tugging on them. If they don't come out, dig some more and cut the roots. They'll come right out.
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Before you dig call Miss Utility, it's the law!
    You hit a power main I don't think a puny irrigation pipe is going to be of concern, you'll be dead instantly although granted
    that may be what some folks want during hard times, I don't know but there's also like a thousand dollar fine associated.

Failure to call Miss Utility can and will result in serious headaches!
    The more the homeowner insists that there's nothing there, the bigger the headache.
    Purposefully not making the call is a crime.

Oh, one more thing...
    You can't cut below ground level with a chainsaw.
  7. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

You mean its not a mini trencher?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

chain it to your truck and pull...that's what 4 wheel drive is for :)
  9. Roachy

Roachy LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Good info guys. Im probably going to ask her if she wants to plant anything in replace of these bushes and then give her a price for leaving the roots and a price for removing them.
    Do you guys think $350 is about right for removing 5 large bushes and roots?
  10. tuffram

tuffram LawnSite Senior Member

Use a piece of thick cable 2 to 3 feet long to wrap around the shrubs. Make a choker out of it and hook the chain to the cable when you pull it tight it will tighten down on the shrub like a noose and wont slip off the shrub and hit the back of your truck.