1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Removing ivy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Kevintree, Aug 8, 2004.

1. Kevintree

Kevintree LawnSite Member

Hello all

Bidding on a job to remove ivy and schrubs from a bed about

3,000 sq. ft. that is mostly ivy.

Thinking of using spade and/or spading forks.

Any better ideas??

2. Kevintree

Kevintree LawnSite Member

Any ideas??

3. J-dub

J-dub LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Have you thought about using you're trimmer to chop the ivy to ground level (after you've removed the shrubs w/ shovel)? After trimming, rake-out beds to remove debris and spray w/ Roundup to kill-off plants. Wait until it takes effect and till-under.

It's my understanding that the active ingredient in Roundup dissipates relatively shortly and new things (grass, shrubs, etc.) can be planted soon thereafter.

Given the information you provided, that's what I'd do. Good luck -- hopefully someone else will chime in.
  4. Aproct

Aproct LawnSite Member

CHARGE OUT THE A$$ ON THE JOB!!!Just finished a job that involved ornamental ivy removal and boy did it suck. In addition to the ivy removal, we also have to removal about 900 sqft og bamboo. The ivy, I can tell you is going to be tough. If you have a chemical license, may I recommend killing it first with either Roundup or Razor. Then wait about 1 to 2 weeks and then do a second application if necessary. I used a Lay-Mor with a backhoe attachment to rake the surface of the ground to tear up the vines and so forth. Even after that, you will still need to rake or pull by hand the remaining vines. It is all labor so make sure you charge accordingly. We removed about 1000 sqft of ivy that was planted by the homeowners mother about thirty years ago, so jsut imagine the size of the vines. I have some pictures of the before and after to show you. I will try to load them tonight. Don't forget about disposal!!!There will be a lot of it.
  5. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

You have no idea what the root structure of ivy looks like. It's a mess and a job to remove. I did one and wished I had something to completely remove the soil and then grade over it. I'm serious, it's a job.
  6. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

A very miserable job at that. I wouldn't even want to remove 10 sq ft... Charge accordingly.. And charge a LOT...