Removing large arborvitae?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bligh61, Jul 13, 2007.

1. bligh61

bligh61 LawnSite Member

I need to remove 15 10-15' arborvitae. No new planting going in the spot. Can I flush cut, cover with top and mulch, without fear of them growing back?

2. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

cant you spade them out then ball and bag them, those things are worth some money!

3. bligh61

bligh61 LawnSite Member

large scale job, no time to nance around.

4. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

No, they won't grow back.

5. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Hire a tree service to chainsaw them down and stump grind them. Add a little to the estimate for yourself and you don't even have to get your hands dirty.

6. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

You might want to consider ripping them out before you flush cut them. There is most likely a thick mat of fibery roots near the surface all around them. It might be better to dig them out and use the trunks to leverage out the root system, if you are going to plant where these are. A stump grinder is not going to do anything more than the main stump of the trunk.

7. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Nothing is going in their place? Sure, flush cut. Its an easy job and easy $.

For extra insurance I cut about a 2" deep X in the top and pour gas in it.......soaks it in and no more growth.

Tree people probably won't give you more then $100 per tree if that interests you.

8. Dub's Shrubs

Dub's Shrubs LawnSite Member

First off what kind of a professinal landscaper would pour gas in to the ground. You know who i'm talking about but I think if you can't do things the right way don't do it at all. Guys like you are the reason why some people are so skeptical on highering a landscaper they have had to many guys like you burn them SORRY FOR GETTING OF THE SUBJUCT BUT GUYS LIKE THAT BURN MY @#$ IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN.

9. Littletruck

Littletruck LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Pulling them out can really be harder than it sounds, I flush cut and use my stump grinder. But they wont grow back or throw off suckers even if you just cut, so if you cover in mulch and plant next to them you should be ok, if you can get a hole next to them.

10. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

We recently pulled 4 that were 10-12' high. Just leaned them over (the whole tree), and the roots started coming up, were able to cut enough of the roots that nothing showed above ground. Much like what AGLA said, using the plant as leverage.