1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Removing Large Areas of English Ivy

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Coach s, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Coach s

Coach s LawnSite Member

Hey All,
    I am looking for some help on best way to remove large areas of English Ivy. Three areas are about 30 Ft. by 50 feet.
    I was thinking that I would spray with strongest roundup available then a week later try to remove ivy. For the removal I am not sure whether to rent a tiller or a walk behind Dingo. What do you guys think would be the best way to do the job?

Thanks for all of your help!

2. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

A garden rake and pruners.

Wait two to three weeks though, you'll get a better kill that way and hopefully the roots will have broken down just a tad, so you can pull it easier.

Don't use a tiller, your asking for problems with wrapping the ivy around the tines.

What is the plan for the area after you kill it off?

3. Littlea

Littlea LawnSite Member

Depending on where you are, you may be able to get a BOXER mini-skid from The Home Depot. They have an array of attachments that will eat it up. Personally, I would posion is prescribed then just tear it out with a bucket.

4. Littlea

Littlea LawnSite Member

He is right... You will be cleaning tines every 2 minutes. Use a bucket and just take the top layer of dirt and roots with you.

5. Coach s

Coach s LawnSite Member

I just sprayed the areas really good with roundup.
    I think that I will hit it again in a week.
    Then wait another week or so and then get Ding with bucket and scrape top layer away.
    In the fall I am bringing in some new top soil and then planting grass.

6. White Gardens

Dingo is overkill, what are you planning on doing to the bed after the ivy is gone.

7. Tq23

Tq23 LawnSite Member

How is the project going?

8. Tq23

Tq23 LawnSite Member

I was trying to kill some ivy growing and had no luck with roundup. I mixed it at 4 ounces per gallon of water and it did absolutely nothing to the ivy, all the weeds growing in the ivy are now dead, but didn't even yellow the ivy. Considering what the next step will be in trying to remove this stuff.

9. White Gardens

I've had luck with Roundup and English Ivy. How long ago did you make the application?

10. Tq23

Tq23 LawnSite Member

It has been about 2 weeks
    Posted via Mobile Device