Removing Large Areas of English Ivy

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Coach s, Jul 5, 2010.

1. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you do it if you can't get the loader into the yard?

2. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

Do you guys know about Monsanto, who makes roundup? if not you should really research it. its not worth the money to pollute our next generations land

the best and easiest way would be to pen some goats up in there and let them eat away the ivy and other weeds- creates fertilizer , creates healthy fertilizer. no emissions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0uls507hvM

3. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Are you serious? You must be a troll.

If a customer told me they wanted me to get rid of ivy and I told them I would use goats I would not only lose that customer but I would be the laughing stock of the state. I can just see an illegal goat pen in a high end subdivision with illegal farm animals in it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  4. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Excuse me while I install this pen around your $500,000 house. I'll get rid of your ivy, don't mind the shrub damage from the goats...they should come back. Oh sorry, didn't know you wanted to keep the bark on that Japanese maple specimen.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

Haha lmao,

By the way isn't gly a contact and not a systemic?

6. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree and I can see it now-
    "I told the goats what they could and couldn't eat. It's not my fault they ate your wicker patio set."
    We went from lawn pro's to goat whispering.

7. Peachtree Environmental

Peachtree Environmental LawnSite Member

Tq23, I've had the same situation. I went high rate and did not phase the ivy. However, it did kill all of the other weeds and the bed actually looks clean and nice again. Initially planned to kill the ivy and replant bed. Now we just maintain the bed.

8. gimpy252

gimpy252 LawnSite Member

The goats are a great idea. Many homeowners are open to a more green solution. Offer it as an option, otherwise rip the ivy out, seed the area and use a good broadleaf herb next year on any sprouts that come up.

9. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm surprised this was never brought up, but a good sod cutter works excellent for ivy beds. I have used it on English ivy, pachasandra, this areas is Virginia creeper, and some other form of small leaf ivy
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

In the past I have had good results with mowing it to the ground and slit seeding over it. No chemicals or goats. This will not work if you are trying to maintain this as a flower or planting bed. Ivy does not like to be mowed weekly and will quickly give up. BTW roundup is just a minor inconvience to an English Ivy patch,