Removing Large Areas of English Ivy

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Coach s, Jul 5, 2010.

1. MV Property Care

MV Property Care LawnSite Member

What percentage of glyphosphate was on the bottle of roundup. I shop around and look for a percentage of at least 40%.

I was very successful killing ivy with "roundup" that is what everybody calls it but every dist,retailer has their own brand.

2. MV Property Care

MV Property Care LawnSite Member

We also use a stihl kombi hedge trimming where you can basically cut up the ivy and then apply roundup. It's like putting the poison right into the body of the plant.

3. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Goats are a terrible idea. Goats are for pastures. Goats are not even a "green" option for a home lawn.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

UUUH OOOH!
    Misinformation.
    Glyphosate is a systemic-non selective herbicide.
    Why would you not think that this material is used to control the root as well and the plant???
    Glyphosate's mode of action is to inhibit an enzyme involved in the synthesis of the aromatic amino acids: tyrosine, tryptophan and phenylalanine. It is absorbed through foliage and translocated to growing points. Because of this mode of action, it is only effective on actively growing plants; it is not effective as a pre-emergence herbicide.
    If you sprayed a desirable turfgrass with roundup then a few days later you will see that the overspray will absorb inward and kill the surrounding areas of the turfgrass. Ivy is a bit more tougher to control than using glyphosate alone.

5. cgaengineer

Goats are non-selective... ;)
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Hey gaengineer, what wrong with goats??? I'm thinking about goats for my place, if I ever get time for the fences and go goat shopping... I have plenty of places for them to clean and keep clean, so my plan is rotating overgrown brush thick pastures... :)

7. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

8. cgaengineer

Everything is wrong when using them in a 25-50k landscape!
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Oh,,, I thot they were just going over to cleanup the ivy and fertilize the bed... :)

In reality, I imagine, they'd get sick of the ivy pretty quick...

10. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 LawnSite Bronze Member

I used these 2 and had great easy results. I kept cutting down into the dirt with the blade. Raked everything out and haven't had an issue since.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]