removing lava rock

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by burninbill, Feb 28, 2005.

1. burninbill

burninbill LawnSite Member

I am bidding a job to remove old red lava rock and replace with river rock. I think this will take 9 man hours to do using a tractor to dump onsite. I have measured the area to be 3736 sq. ft. at about 2-3 inches. What do you guys think it will take in hours with three guys to remove this amount. It has to be hand raked and then scooped by hand into tractor bucket.

Any info would be great.

Thanks

Jon

2. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends on whether there's fabric under it or not.... If there is, it'll be much easier to get the rock up. If there's not (and there's room), it'll be easier to dig everything out (soil and rocks), replace the soil, then put down the new stuff...

As for amount of time, either way, I don't know for sure... Possibly more than a day....?

Dan

3. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

if you have good access and a tractor with a loader, why would it take so long? i'd scoop everything, fabric, and weeds and all.....how much are you charging for something like that?

a landscaper did a flowerbed between the house and the lawn to my neighbor last year...the bed was probably 5 feet wide, by 30 feet long...it took them almost a whole day (2 guys and a girl)...they did not have any tractors. i'd hate that job if i do it by hand.

4. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

If there is fabric underneath, you won't be able to just scoop it all out with a tractor bucket, trust me! The fabric will cause a LOT of headaches if that is attempted.

I've done it both ways in the last year, and like I said earlier, it'll be easier to dig out the rocks, dirt and all, if there is no fabric. BUT that will require a machine like a mini-ex. If there is fabric underneath, it's still gonna be a PITA, and a lot of hand labor.

Dan

5. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

oh yeah, cause when you lifted, it will be like trying to handle a big plastic cover.....drag and hang on everything and spread the rocks all over.....but i'd just lift some lava rocks and fabric, stop, cut the fabric away, then dump it. but i see how it can be a pain in the rear.