removing muffler

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mikekl, Jun 14, 2005.

1. mikekl

mikekl LawnSite Member

I have a gravely outfront mower with a 30 hp diesel.I have been considering removing the original muffler and running a straight pipe out the top of the engine hood.Alot of guys around here with diesel trucks do this claiming it gives a big power boost.I did remove the muffler from the manifold and ran the engine just to test,it was a bit louder but not that bad,I didnt drive it though.Any comments?

2. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Spark arrestor?

3. MP350

MP350 LawnSite Member

On my diesel truck I removed the muffler to help the turbo spool up, now on your mower the thing I would worry about is a face full of black smoke.

4. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

diesel engines generally don't flash out like a gas does.

5. C&KLawnCare

C&KLawnCare LawnSite Member

Put that baby under a load and run it all day ill take bets the muffler . ends up back on

6. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

How about twin mitre cut chrome stacks? Or you could do twin flat tops and put the rain flapper on them. Next you will a pyro to monitor exhaust temps so you can give it a little more fuel. I would like to see pics also when you finish the project.

7. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

diesel engines generally don't flash out like a gas does.

Explain that to my buddy who had a 4' square hole thru his shed roof when he set a car gas tank on a diesel tractor muffler to "air" it out before welding on it. We figured a piece of hot metal off the muffler was enough to ignite the fuel. Only takes one spark to start a fire, we have to be careful with our Walker in the fall on leaves.

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Tell your buddy to fill the tank with water next time.