Removing Mulch

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by swn, Sep 28, 2001.

1. swn

swn LawnSite Member

I have to remove about 12 yds of mulch. This is at 1 place but several different beds. The mulch is going to be removed and replace with rock. I have no ideal how long this will take. It will have to be done mostly by hand, because the shrubs are to be left, shoveled into loader and then hauled off with dump truck. There will be 6 guys working. If anyone has an estimate on how long this will take, I would appreciate the advice. Thank you.

I did do a search.

2. FIREMAN

FIREMAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from n.j.

Unless the mulch is really deep I would lay heavy fabric and lay the rocks right on top.....it's all going to turn into dirt anyway....
    If the client really pressed the issue of removing the mulch I'd say go about 1.5 times the installation price of the same amount the extra to cover disposal and headaches. I do mean the price for a total install mulch/labor/equipment. I have never done a mulch removal but assume that it would be messy and time consuming to do it well.

3. cp

cp LawnSite Senior Member

I did the same thing to one of my residentials this summer.

Leveled the mulch or removed any excess and covered with heavy lining and brick mulch. Looked good and the existing mulch, if weedless, will help the existing shrubs.

Otherwise, charge at least double the application.

4. swn

swn LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I like the idea of getting the mulch level then putting the fabric down. I hope the president of the bank likes it. They are set on putting rock in place of mulch. The area is about 2000 sq. ft. The rock(medium size pee gravel) will be about 2" thick. I came up with about 15 ton. Does anyone know if this is close or way off. Thank you.

5. swn

swn LawnSite Member

Just curious to know if anyone thinks this is close. I have not dealt much with rock, just mulch.

6. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Without knowing how much a cubic yard of stone weighs, since different types weigh various amounts, I can only guessimate. You are probably close, but may need 2 or 3 more tons. Ask your quarry how much space a ton will cover. Usually they are glad to help since they want you to buy plenty from them.

7. swn

swn LawnSite Member

Thank you! I will check with them.