Removing Mulch!!!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by KSL, May 12, 2008.

1. KSL

KSL LawnSite Member
    from MI

Just wondering how you guys would go about pricing removal of mulch to replace with decorative stone.

Thank you

2. Dingojoe

Dingojoe LawnSite Member

I've got the opposite issue, removing decorative stone and replacing it with double ground hardwood mulch....customer doesn't like the stone. :dizzy:

3. Dingojoe

Dingojoe LawnSite Member

What I have been doing, right or wrong is building that into my hourly rate. If you have guys working for you at an hourly wage then they get paid to remove that along with whatever else they do. I pay my guys $10 an hour for an 8 hour day... Depending on the amount of material to dispose of, you can charge a disposal fee...some folks pass that on down to the customer, some don't. I personally don't as I have a place to dispose of it easily accessible.

4. KSL

KSL LawnSite Member
    from MI

I will be removing about 16 yards of mulch.

5. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

You should charge a fee. If you had to pay to dump you would charge a fee. What is wrong with making a little more.

6. KSL

KSL LawnSite Member
    from MI

any round-a-bout prices to remove mulch per yard?!?!?

7. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you should charge 75% what you charge to put mulch in. Plus disposal fee.

8. JNyz

just charge him your hourly rate. plus dumping. i don't see how that is hard to figure out. if you are solo you rate should be at least 60.00/hr. make sure you charge your rate for your drive time to the dump.

9. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

If you're going to put down stone, just use a weed fabric & then put your stone down. The mulch will eventually deteriorate & you'll never know it was there. It's harder to do w/ stone since you may need to plant there someday.

10. JNyz

if you do it this way make sure mulch is not piled up to high.